Ch. 9 - Phthonos (1)

"He– how dare he... Now I can't finish my puzzle."

'It's been a few days already

'It's been a few days already..' Athanasia gives a small peek at her brother who hid behind a pillar. 'And he hasn't stopped following us.'

Athanasia was having a walk with Eclair one morning. At that moment, Arius found them playing with flowers. Athanasia thought he wanted to join and called him over.

Bad idea.

He had a literal glare-down with Eclair. The girl merely minded her own business, not bothered by the Prince's dagger-like stare. Arius wanted to drag his sister to their own patch of flowers to play without Eclair.

Arius threw a small tantrum before he ran to Claude and spent the rest of the day with their father. Though Athanasia could hear how Arius complained to Claude miles away.

And followed the days with Arius trailing after the two girls whenever Eclair visited. He would even skip snack time to confront Eclair.

"How dare you steal my sister!"

Athanasia wanted to hide under a rock after Eclair gave her a knowing smirk. Putting that aside, Athanasia was currently having a dilemma.

No, it wasn't how she couldn't sleep because Arius would linger around her bed at night. Yes, it was about Eclair's version of the Novel and the conversation they had together.

Inside the parlor, Athanasia peeked from the door to see Eclair gracefully sipping tea. Her burgundy hair fell like waves, contrasting to Athanasia's golden locks that were tied.

'Wah, she's become even more beautiful than before!' Athanasia thought, feeling a bit nervous while fingers fiddled with her pale blue skirt. 'Is that black tea? I can't handle the unsweetened taste.'

Eclair's golden eyes caught sight of Athanasia, settling her cup down. "Princess, please don't be shy," she calls out, Athanasia jerking a bit from surprise.

Athanasia gave an awkward smile, her feet bringing her to the couch opposing where Eclair sat. The soft and intricately designed pillows were held by the Princess to become more comfortable.

"So, um..." Athanasia nervously starts, "The book, should I return it?"

This caught Eclair's attention, her hand stopping mid-way in bringing the cup for her to drink. "Book?" The confusion was evident in her voice. "Princess, I never gave you a book."

The cookie Athanasia was about to plop in her mouth fell to the carpeted floor. "E-eh...?" You can hear the gears turn in her head. "What do you mean?" The Princess stutters out, jeweled blue eyes intensely staring at her.

Eclair gave a sigh that reminded Athanasia of their first encounter. "Princess. This book, may you describe it more thoroughly?" She asserts, hands overlapping each other.