Experiment?

A/N: Wow, people are actually reading this, that's amazing! I didn't really expect reads because it's a rare ship and all. You guys are awesome! My motivation shot up when I saw the reads I had gotten. Love you guys :)
———————————————————————

Classic's POV

Eventually, Classic was able to miraculously teleport back home, but he was careful to mark Nightmare's place in his mind before he left. He wanted to come back and chat with Nightmare; here was something about him that was extremely interesting to Classic. Also, he wanted to make sure that Dream had taken his advice.

When Sans managed to teleport back to his universe, he opened the door to his house nervously. Given that he had been gone for so long, Sans expected to find Papyrus frantically racing around, trying to find him. To his surprise, Papyrus casually greeted him from the kitchen as if he had only been gone for a few minutes. Now that was fascinating. Did time pass differently when he was in an alternate universe? Sans could feel his scientific curiosity rising as he causally greeted his brother and headed up to his room. He wanted to do some research on AUs: maybe he could visit Alphys later and raid her lab for books.

Time skip brought to you by famous vines: I saw you hanging out with Kaitlyn yesterday! R-Rebecca it's not what you think! I won't hesitate, b*%# *bang bang*

Alright, science experiment number one. It had been about a week since Sans had last gone to the other universe... actually he should stop calling it "the other universe" and give it a name. Sans pondered on the important issue for a moment. Whatever, that wasn't the point. Sans wanted to figure out how much time had passed in.... Appletale.... that's a horrible name... while he had been gone. He wanted to see if time went super fast over there, or whatever the problem was.

"Alright," Classic muttered quietly, "let's do this." He concentrated on the place he wanted to go, then teleported. Hesitantly opening his eyes, sans was relieved to see the grassy plains and the huge tree of... Treetale? He'd think of a good name someday. Sans leisurely strolled over to the tree, hoping that Nightmare was there. He was. Nightmare was curled up at the base of the tree, reading a book and looking absolutely adorable. Sans spotted someone coming up the hill and quickly hid behind the trunk. Sans peeked out and saw that it was the same bullies as last time. Classic stepped out form behind the tree and glared at them, activating his eye. The bullies promptly fled. Cowards.

Classic plopped down next to Nightmare, who was so absorbed in his book that he hadn't noticed a single thing that had happened. Classic decided to take a chance, and poked nightmare in the side. Nightmare flinched so hard the book almost slipped out of his hands.

"Woah, sorry!" Classic exclaimed, "didn't mean to scare you so much." Nightmare stared at classic in disbelief and wonder . Truthfully, Nightmare didn't really expect classic to come back, but he was glad that Classic did. Something about the taller skeleton made him feel safe. (A/N yes, in my headcanon passive nightmare is a little bit shorter than classic, but don't worry. Our favorite goopy boi nightmare is taller than classic.)

Nightmare smiled at Classic, and playfully told him to not run off too fast this time. Classic dramatically draped his hand across his forehead, feigning offense. "Oh, how could I have done such a thing! Forgive me, Nightmare," Classic said dramatically, causing Nightmare to start chuckling uncontrollably.

"You can make it up to me by telling me more about yourself," Nightmare suggested. Classic happily obliged, and they spent hours swapping stories and jokes.

Spongebob narrator voice: a few hours later

"And then I said, 'I guess I just wasn't ready for the responsibility' and then walked away!" Classic explained as Nightmare burst into laughter. Both of them were having the time of their lives. After they both calmed down a little, Classic hesitantly asked if Dream had been treating Nightmare any better.

Nightmare sobered up. "Well, he made more of an effort for a few days, but he fell back into his old ways again." Classic sighed.

"Nightmare, why do the villagers bully you?" Classic asked softly. Nightmare curled into himself a little bit, but started to explain that since he was the Guardian of Negativity, the townspeople thought he was evil and not useful. He further explained about his negative aura and Dream's positive aura, and how only Dream could pick the positive apples.

"Oh, sweetheart, you aren't evil," Classic quickly reassured Nightmare, who had a light purple dusting his cheeks from the endearment.
"Thank you," Nightmare whispered.
"No problem. Actually, let me see the bracelet I gave you for a second. If I can imbue it with enough magic, it should act a little bit like a shield against physical attacks." Nightmare dutifully handed it over and watched the working of magic with fascination. Classic's magic was so... comforting. After a minute, Classic handed it back, and Nightmare immediately put it back on. Nightmare enjoyed the feeling of Classic's magic in the bracelet. It was a comforting presence, and Nightmare knew it would help him not feel so alone.

Classic and Nightmare sat in comfortable silence for a while, enjoying each other's company. Eventually, Classic reluctantly got up. He knew he had to leave soon, but the sad look on Nightmare's face when he realised Classic was leaving pulled at his SOUL. "Sorry, Nightmare, but I have to leave. I'll try to make it back as soon as I can, alright? Just hold onto the bracelet if you feel lonely." Nightmare nodded and stood up, reaching his arms out for a hug. Classic was taken back for a moment, but quickly recovered and pulled Nightmare into a warm hug. They stayed hugging for quite a while, until Classic finally had to break away. Classic said one last goodbye before heading away from the tree, thinking about bringing Nightmare some food next time he visited.

As Classic took one last look back at the tree before teleporting home, he saw the figure of Nightmare all alone under the tree. As he teleported away, Classic couldn't stop thinking about how lonely Nightmare had looked by himself, and vowed that he would become his friend to ease his loneliness.

1082 words.