I chuckled, he has a cute smile "I got the job,"

"C'mon who's gonna turn you down? You're gorgeous,"

Blood rushes to my cheeks from the compliment. Did he mean they should have hired me purely on the basis of my looks?

I started burning up. I must look like a tomato right now.

"You're blushing," he said smirking.

"No need to state the obvious," I quickly covered my cheeks with my hands.

"Let's celebrate, what would you like to drink m'lady?"

"Scotch on the rocks, please," I responded.

"Coming right up," he reached for a bottle of scotch.

I have to go visit dad later. I wonder if I should tell him about the job, most probably not, considering it's a strip club and all. He'd never allow me to work at such places. I looked back up to meet Angelo's gaze.

"Whatcha thinking about?" he asked, raising his brow. "Oh nothing really, I was just zoning out," I gave him a soft smile.

I thanked him and gulped down my drink. "Woah there, that's some strong scotch. I don't think you should be gulping it down like that," he warns, giving me a concerned look.

"Thanks for the drink. How much is it?" I ask, taking out my purse.

"Val, you don't seriously think I'm going to let you pay do you? It's on me," he says shaking his head with a grin. "No-" I try to reason when he cuts me off.

"Ah ah ah, nope," he says turning around.

Angelo is a really nice guy, I could see myself being friends with someone like him. "Hey um do you know when Paige gets off work?" I ask.

"She finishes early in the morning, so you might want to go home rather than waiting for her."

I get off the barstool. "Ok, I should leave. I have to go see my father. Thanks for drink!"

"Orrrr, you could always wait until I finish," he says, sending me a flirty wink. I shook my head at his poor attempt before waving goodbye. I had to buy groceries as well, dammit.

• • •

I quickly rushs through the hospital doors, I was running late and visiting hours were almost over. Running to the front desk I told the woman my name and sprinted to my dad's room.

I should really start exercising soon.

"Dad," I call out, panting.

I step inside to find him resting with his eyes closed. He can't be sleeping, he usually waits to see me.  I walk closer to bed and sat down beside him. I can't help but think how isolated he must feel in here. I just wished everything was back to how it was.

My father truly loved my mother, I'm sure he thinks about her every hour of the day. He used to tell me stories of them from when they were teenagers and how my mother had to run away just to be with him. My mother's family never really liked my father.

My father used to be a horrible man, he had a troubled past but my mother didn't let that stop her from giving her heart to him.

I turned my head to see a picture of the three of us on the bedside table. Damn, I miss her so much. Why did she have to leave us? We were so happy.

Before leaving, a sigh escapes my lips as I lift myself up from the bed and kissed my father's forehead. I need to be home before it's too late. If I'm being honest, I don't live in the best part of town, I live in a really shitty apartment. However, having a roof over my head was enough for me.

• • •

The wind was really strong tonight.

Walking alone at night is scary. Occasionally I have to walk through alleyways or down narrow streets, I live in a very sketchy area and that did not calm me one bit.

A couple of minutes later I was still walking through the alley, praying no one was around. I knew what type of people lurked around these areas. And trust me, they aren't very good people.

I quicken my pace and stopped when I heard voices.

"If you think I'm letting you live, then you must be mistaken, mraz'" a deep voice spoke harshly.

Ah fuck, nope. I have to get away from here as soon as possible, I can tell from their voices these are not the people I want to mess with.

"P-please, I'll have t-the money by next w-week,"

"Shut the fuck up, you know better than to mess with the Don," gunshots echoed.

Gunshots.

I need to leave. now.

As I turn to run the opposite way, I was grabbed by the arm. "Where do you think you're going?" someone laughs.

"Let me go," I plead.

This can't be happening. I had to run away from him, what will they even do to me? Maybe I should just punch him. Hah yeah right, I can't throw a punch for shit.

"Pathetic," the guy spat on me and hits my head with his gun really hard.

I groan and felt something wash over me as my vision went black.