Chapter 36

Loki's POV

This is new.

Peter was wailing and sticking to the ceiling as I tried to get him to wear his seatbelt. I gave up and let the strip of material drop.

"Fine. No seatbelt," I told him.

A grin broke over his face. He dropped onto the car seat and leaned against me. Happy started up the car and drove away from the bar. He didn't say anything, but I could tell from the way he kept glancing back in the rear view mirror that he was a little worried and slightly amused by Peter's drunken state.

Peter's hands reached behind him and they started searching for something. I quickly deducted that he was looking for my hands.

I briefly thought about holding my hands away from him so he wouldn't be able to find them, but I knew that was mean and put my palms in his. He brought them up to his fluffy brown hair.

"Do the thingy, please?" He asked.

I had zero clue what he was talking about so I improvised and started playing with his hair. He relaxed and slouched farther on me so I figured I had guessed correctly.

He looked almost peaceful, except for the fact that he kept hiccuping.

Tony cleared his throat. "So what happened?"

I briefly took one hand off of his head to take the empty whiskey bottle out of my pocket, and I handed it to Tony.

"He drank half while my back was turned and when I finally noticed, he quickly forced himself to drink the rest. He probably had more inside the bar."

"It's my fault," He mumbled.

I looked up at Tony. "No, it's not," I said firmly. "You were trying to help him."

"But-"

"But nothing," Happy interjected. "He did this to himself and he has to deal with the consequences, sir."

Tony sighed and turned back around in his seat to face the windshield.

I looked down at Peter and he was gazing at the moving scenery, almost like he was in a trance. Suddenly he lurched forward, reaching for something that was past the window.

"My brethren!" He cried.

"Did you see a spider?" I asked jokingly.

Peter dissolved into tears. "A birdie ate Mr. Spider."

I contained my laughter and unclipped my seatbelt. I stretched out my arms.

"Do you want a hug?"

Peter sniffled and crawled into my arms. Tony concealed a laugh with a loud cough and Happy kept his eyes on the road with the beginnings of a smile on his lips. I rubbed circles in Peter's back and he eventually stopped crying. He didn't let go of me though, in fact he crawled closer which raised some eyebrows from Tony. 

Peter was bouncing up and down by the time we reached the tower. I opened the door. Peter jumped out and promptly fell on his behind. I got out behind him and helped him to his feet.

I grabbed his arm and put it over my shoulders to help support him. I half walked, half carried Peter as he stumbled along next to me. We walked into the tower, with Happy and Tony trailing behind us.

As soon as Peter saw the intricate insides he squealed, "Wow! Pretty!"

I quietly shushed him and we hurried to the elevator trying to avoid drawing attention to ourselves. Halfway there, Peter stumbled and his knees gave out. I swooped him up in my arms and kept going.