Quickly, I brushed those thoughts away. I didn't have time for this right now. In lightening speed,  I put my hands around Isobel's neck in an iron grip. Damon was next to me in the very next second, and Jenna stuttered out, looking up at us with her eyes full of fear and tears "How...h-how did you guys...?"

  "Not the best time to ask, Jenna." Damon looked at her for a split second then turned his attention back to Isobel. "You better explain yourself Isobel...or else you WILL regret it." he leaned in closer to her, trying to intimidate her I guess.

  But Isobel stared at Alaric's body in Jenna's arms warily, as if nothing Damon said had reached her. "Rick?" she whispered with a shaky voice. Then pushed Damon and I out of her way to kneel down next to him. I looked at Damon, and he shrugged at me in return, confused as well.

  "She-she was coming at me!" Jenna sobbed, scooting away from Isobel, and trying to get Alaric away from her as well. But Isobel already has her hands around Alaric's arms in a grip that Jenna could not break.

  "But Rick stood in front of me, and now..."Jenna's voice cracked as a new wave of tears flowed out of her eyes, streaking her face with black mascara.

  "How dare you call him Rick? Who the hell are you to him?" suddenly, at the mention of Alaric's name, Isobel seemed to jumped out of her trance. "It's your fault he got hurt, if he hadn't tried to protect you..."

  "....Jenna...." Alaric groaned as he slowly opened his eyes, his hands found Jenna's and she held them in her own. "I'm so sorry I put you through this....." he turned and saw Damon and I look down at the trio. "You guys take her and Elena home. Go..." he seemed to have problems breathing, since they came out short and shallow.

  "Rick, Rick? Are you OK?" Isobel pushed Jenna's hand away, putting her bloody hands on Alaric's. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to. I didn't..."

  "It doesn't matter, just as long as Jenna's not hurt. If you've loved me before Isobel...even if it was only for one second...just please...stay away from us...."

  Isoble seem stunned, "You are willing to die for her? Risk your life? But I'm the one you love! I'll find a way for us to be able to be together Rick!"

  "Used to. I used to love you. But right now, yes, I will die to protect Jenna. I love her." Alaric said firmly this time, looking right into Jenna's eyes and giving her a little smile that seemed to calm her down a bit.

 "Love her? You..... love her...?"

"Always will."

  That seemed to be the last straw for Isobel. She stumbled backwards, then took off at full speed into the darkness, but not before a single drop of tear slipped down her face and landed on Alaric's hand. It mixed with the blood she left on his palm, and turned into an bright scarlet shade in the pale moonlight.

  We all looked after Isoble for a few seconds, stunned at the sharp turn of the night. Elena let out a little whimper, and before I could do anything, Damon was next to her instantly, wrapping his arms around her. She closed his eyes for a moment, then opened them to find me staring at her. She looked away quickly, but not before I caught the glimpse of guilt on her face.

   It felt like someone was driving a  stake through my heart. I mean, I know Elena was annoyed at me for always watching her carefully around Damon, but.... what was I supposed to think about them hugging each other so tightly RIGHT before my eyes? What was I supposed to do with the waves of jealousy coursing through my entire being? What was I supposed do if she really does love him.....?

ELENA'S POV

  I couldn't help it.  I needed Damon's arms around me even if Stefan was watching. I saw my birthmother nearly killing my aunt and my soon-to-be uncle!!! You'd think that after countless times of near death experiences, I'll be able to handle these things well. But every time was just as terrifying and horrible. It drains the energy from my body, sends chills down my spine, and makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.