It Started with a Compliment

Start from the beginning

"Would you mind if I walked home with you? Walking alone is no fun." 

"Sure."

Present

            Armin sighed and sank into his bed, the side Eren had been sleeping on just a few weeks earlier. His pillow still had Eren's scent. Armin's eyes started to well up with tears, how could he let this happen? It was his fault. If he had gotten there earlier he might have been able to stop Zeke. The police had found him and a court date was set, but it still unsettled Armin. Zeke deserved more than prison time. Armin slammed a fist down into the bed next to his face. He couldn't erase the thought of Eren dying, no matter how much he tried. He couldn't hold it in anymore, he stuffed his face into the pillow and cried. He cried for hours, longer than he thought possible. The cries finally subsided when it was night time, and Armin's eyes felt heavy. He turned his face to the side to face his window. There were no stars tonight, there hadn't seemed to be any ever since Eren had fallen into a coma. Armin closed his eyes, visualizing Eren being there in front of him perfectly healthy with that smile which made Armin's heart beat faster every time he saw it.

------

            Another week had passed, and Armin was desolate. He hadn't left his house or talked to anyone at all, not even his grandpa. He picked his phone up every time it buzzed, hoping he would see a message from Mikasa saying Eren was awake, but it never happened. His eyes had lost their shine, his hair hadn't been brushed in days, he had even gone without eating for days at a time. He still blamed himself for what had happened to Eren, and he couldn't stop imagining what could've been changed if he had left the house just a little earlier.

            His phone was ringing. His head shot up from his pillow and he reached for it. It was Mikasa! Please be about Eren, please be about Eren. Armin brought the phone to his ear.

"Mikasa? Is Eren awake?!" Armin's voice was hoarse from not speaking to anyone in days.

"Um, no."

The line was silent.

"Although! He is getting better! It could be any day now."

"Oh... right. What's up?"

"I'm worried about you Armin, I haven't seen or heard from you in days. I've been released from the hospital for a while now, you know. Where have you been?"

"Home."

"Armin..." Mikasa trailed off. "When is the last time you ate?"

"Yesterday morning."

"Armin!"

"Sorry."

"Can I come over? The house is still a crime scene. My dad has been staying at a hotel, but now that they've found out his other son committed the murder they're questioning him at the police station. I kind of have nowhere to go."

"Sure, I guess. My room is a mess."

"You know I don't care about that, mine is probably worse. Well... was. Anyway, I'll only be there for a bit. Once Sasha gets home from work today I'll be staying at her house. I just want to check on you."

"Okay, I'll see you soon."

            Armin put his phone back on his nightstand. Any day now? Was she bluffing? Probably. He sighed and sat up. He couldn't wait until Mikasa left and he could go back to his own thoughts.

------

"Armin, I brought you food."