A Story

June 2021

            Eren felt weak and the blood rushed from his face. This can't be real. This can't be real. This is a joke. This is a prank. 

"Mr. Jaeger? Are you there?"

"Okay who is this? Did Jean put you up to this? That asshole."

"I'm afraid I'm not joking, sir. If you are up to it, we need you to come to the station sometime today so we can tell you the details and tell you where to visit your sister. Your father is already here."

"I..."

            Eren's hands were shaking and he couldn't speak. His mother wasn't dead, he had seen her yesterday morning perfectly fine before he had gone to pick up Armin. Mikasa wasn't in critical condition, she was too tough, she wouldn't let anyone touch her. She had texted Armin last night, she was fine.

"Sir?"

"I..."

            Eren felt like he was going to throw up. 

"I... will be there... later today."

"We really appreciate it, sir. I'm really sorry."

"G-goodbye."

            Eren put his phone back on Armin's nightstand and sat up silently for a second. Despite the situation, he found that he couldn't cry. He just sat up looking at the wall, thinking, still trying to make himself believe that this wasn't real.

"Eren?"

            Eren was brought back to the present moment. He let his eyes meet Armin's, who was still leaning over him and using one hand to rub his eyes. They stared at each other for a second, Armin's eyes spelling confusion, before Eren let out a shaky breath and pulled Armin into a tight hug. Armin squeaked from the pressure of the hug, but he wrapped his arms around Eren and hugged back.

"Is everything okay, Eren?"

            Armin already knew the answer, Eren definitely wasn't okay. Eren's breathing was uneven, and a trembling hand was brought to Armin's head, tangling its fingers through his blonde hair.

"Armin... my... Mikasa... mom." Eren attempted to whisper into Armin's ear.

"What happened, Eren? Take your time." Armin rubbed a hand up and down Eren's back.

             Eren was silent for probably about 5 minutes, clinging to Armin the entire time. He finally found the words he was trying to say, and he pulled away from Armin and looked into his eyes. Armin's eyes, so caring and sincere, comforted Eren and made it easier for him to say the words he never thought he'd say.

"I got a call... from an officer. Apparently last night my house was broken into. Mikasa was injured really badly and my mom..."

            His words trailed off again. Armin tucked a strand of Eren's hair behind his ear and then let his hand rest there, his thumb ghosting Eren's jaw.

"Is dead."

            Armin's heart dropped. Based on Eren's tone he had been expecting something like this, but to hear the words actually spoken. He wrapped his arms around Eren's neck and brought him close again. He remembered his parents' deaths. All he had wanted back then was for someone to hold him, so he let Eren have what he had wanted. 

"Armin... I know she was like a mother to you as well... so this is pretty much your third time losing a parent, I'm sorry."

            Armin hushed him, "This isn't about me, Eren. She was like a mother to me but she wasn't my mother. She was your mother, Eren. She is your mother. This is about you." Despite Armin's calm tone, his eyes were beginning to water. He lifted his head slightly so that Eren wouldn't feel his tears and worry about him instead of himself again. Eren sunk down into the bed a bit further.