It Started with a Compliment

August 2021

            Each day Eren stayed in his coma broke Armin down even more. At first he visited Eren regularly, doing the things he promised like reading to him and talking to him, but after a few weeks of no sign of recovery from Eren, Armin found he couldn't do it anymore. He couldn't bear to see Eren like that any longer, he knew that some people never woke up from comas and he feared the same situation would happen with Eren. Armin knew what he was very close to losing. If Eren died Armin didn't think he could ever love again, be it platonic or romantic. After all, Eren was really his first true friend. 

December 2011

"Aww, look at girly little Armin. How pathetic, he can't even fight back."

            Armin grimaced and clutched his stomach where the punch had hit. He felt like he was going to throw up. He glared at his attackers with fire in his eyes, it was the most he could do.

"So scary!"

            The three older boys laughed. Armin had no idea how they could find it amusing to bully a child at least three years younger than them. He reached down to pick up a book he had dropped at the first punch, but before he could he was kicked across the face. He flew and hit the wall of the outside of the elementary school, a drop of blood forming at his temple and his vision blacking out for a second. The bullies turned to face his new location, twisted smiles on their faces. One grabbed his head and shoved it into the cold snow on the ground, rubbing it in before yanking it back up.

            Armin was about to close his eyes to prepare for the next hit the bully threw, but before he could he saw something out of the corner of his eye. A hand reached out to pick up the book he had tried to pick up just seconds before.

"Hey, you guys. Isn't that a little harsh?"

            The three bullies turned in the speaker's direction and their faces became void of color.

"Oh shittt. Isn't that Mikasa's brother?"

"Yeah dude. We gotta get out of here before she shows up."

"We aren't done here, Arlert. We'll see you tomorrow."

            The "leader" of the group of bullies stuck his tongue out at Armin and led the other kids off. Eren stood up and dusted the book off. He held out a hand to Armin, who took it with a bewildered look on his face. Armin took his book back and whispered a quick thank you before turning to leave, but he was stopped.

"You're Armin, right? Aren't you the kid who skipped a grade?"

Armin turned back around with a small, embarrassed grin.

"I... guess so."

Eren's eyes lit up, "Cool! We're in the same grade then. You're super smart! I'm Eren." He held out his hand.

Armin blushed slightly at the compliment, no one outside of his family had ever complimented him before. He shook Eren's hand.

"Nice to meet you."

            Eren inspected Armin's face, noticing the trail of blood from his temple. He brought his thumb up to wipe it away.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thank you." Armin's stomach had flipped at the touch, either from that or the punch earlier.

Eren grinned at him, "Next time they mess with you I'll scare them off again."

Armin giggled, "If I remember correctly, they were scared of your sister, not you."

Eren's eyes softened.