CHAPTER •°• twenty six

Start from the beginning

Only after almost a minute, he made up his mind, and said with a calm tone.

"I never did wonder." He admitted slowly. "But I do imagine that it would be something like a guard in Azkaban." He assumed. "I mean, you know the kind of guy who really wanted to be an auror, but failed, so he has to make a living out of something else." He said.

Remus laughed slightly at that. 

"Not very optimistic." He commented, turning his head in a way that he could see Sirius's expression. "Not to mention that out of your family's money you would be able to live for a hundred years and wouldn't have to work at all." He added and Black only rolled his eyes.

"I mean they are probably going to disown me one day, so..." He shrugged. "I gotta think ahead." He added and Remus quickly shook his head. He should have known that any conversation now was going to lead him to that point.

But he was not going to give up just yet. He took a deep breath and quickly changed the topic to a different one than 'disowning Sirius part two thousand and ninety one'.

"Well, if I won't be able to become a curse breaker..." He paused, making sure that Sirius was listening, and not thinking about his home and his parents. "Then I'd like to be a professor at Hogwarts." He declared and Srius raised his eyebrows.

"Really?" He asked, looking kind of amused, which happened rarely during the last few days. "And work alongside McGonagall?" He wanted to know, his tone slightly mocking.

Remus shrugged, corrected his position, and said.

"I mean, it would be interesting." He admitted. "I could teach Defence Against the Dark Arts and maybe one day, if I'm lucky, become a Head of Gryffindor. Or-" He raised his voice slightly. "-even a Headmaster."

"First." Sirius started swiftly, apparently finally stopping to think about his problems, what Remus took as a little success. "That position is cursed, and second, Dumbledore will outlive all of us, really." He sighed. "Like how old is the dude now, anyway?"

Remus frowned, and before Sirius couldn't come up with more arguments on why his plan wasn't as good as he thought it was, Lupin fired.

"First." He said, mimicking Sirius. "I think the problem doesn't lay in the 'cursed' position, but the fact that Dumbledore can't choose the right people to run it." He started. "And second, Dumbledore is already like a hundred years old, how long do you think he can live?" Asked Remus and Sirius laughed silently.

"And who do you think is the right person to run that position, you?" He asked only, ignoring the rest of the things that Remus said.

Lupin only rolled his eyes and slowly sat up, to be able to comfortably look at Sirius, without constantly twisting his head in a weird way.

"Obviously." He said and caught Sirius's hand in his, on what Black squeezed Remus's palm slightly.

The two of them stayed like that for a moment, until Padfoot finally said.

"You know what, I take back what I said." He declared. "I think that, after all, I would be a prisoner in the Azkaban, just so you can scare the children with me." He said and Remus poked him jokingly with his free hand.

"That's even more depressing, seriously?" Lupin huffed. "Like wouldn't you like to, I don't know, work in the Muggle Liaison Office?" He proposed and when Sirius frowned at that, he explained. "You know, to spit your family in the face?"