20. A Kiss to Remember

"What is this?" Maya lays her phone down onto the counter, pushing my delicious plate of waffles out of the way while she stands beside me, her back against the island. I pick up her phone and scrunch my eyes. Reading what's on her screen, understanding dawns on me.

"That," sliding the phone back towards her, "is an invitation to our engagement party that I sent to all of our closest friends. It's at the ski lodge...tonight." Cheekily, my lips quirk into a grin as I grab my plate and scoot it back towards myself. "Something wrong?" I ask, reading into my wife's silence as she reads over the email over and over again.

"I-I just don't understand. We didn't discuss this."

"No. We didn't" I confirm, shoveling food into my mouth. "But after some serious thought and a little reminiscing, I remembered that one of your only regrets in the time we were engaged before was that we never had a party to celebrate. I just sorta...asked and life moved on. We got married a while later and that was that."

Turning around to lean over the island, she grabs the fork from my hand and borrows a bite of my breakfast. "So, you decided to surprise me with an engagement party?"

"Precisely" I nod, "did it work?" I ask, watching as the tines of the fork I'd been using, disappear between my wife's lips. Should it be sexy to watch your significant other eat? Probably not, but damn it was like lately every little thing she did had a direct effect on me. She knows too, if her sly smirk is any indication.

"Maybe" she mutters, using her finger to remove the small bit of whipped cream from the corner of her mouth. "But you know that I hate surprises."

Nodding, "I do know that. And so I should've told you while I was making the bookings...but I just." I sigh, trailing off as I take the fork back from her. I'm sure she thinks I'm going to go back to eating in front of her when she's so clearly hungry but again, I surprise her by lifting the fork to her lips. Her cheeks flush as her lips close around the fork again. "I just wanted it to be a surprise" I admit, unable to put the sentiment in any other words. "You know me better than anyone Maya, do you know how hard it is to surprise a person who knows you better than yourself?"

Chewing thoughtfully, she nods in understanding. "Okay" she concedes, "I'm not upset with you. But, in the future can you please at least warn me...like, mention we're going on a trip somewhere so that I can prepare. I-I haven't even done laundry! What am I supposed to bring to wear?"

Cheekily, I shrug, "nothing."

"Joshua." Swatting me on the arm, she steals back my fork and my plate, taking another bite. "You're awful" she teases through a mouthful of food. I lean forward and kiss the top of her head.

"And you wouldn't want it any other way." I hop off the island stool and head back towards the waffle iron, "now, would you like your own breakfast or are you just going to continue to eat off my plate?" I ask, plugging in the iron.

"Which would you prefer?" She asks, her eyes twinkling with mischief. I grab the mix off the counter behind me and smirk.

"One stack of waffles for two." I decide, beginning to measure out the ingredients. "Coming right up."

*************************************************************************************

Maya wasn't kidding when she said that we had laundry to do. I open my dresser and find that I have one pair of boxers left. I glance at Maya, wearing a marron dress with a sweetheart neckline and a hemline that falls short of her knee by a few generous inches. I have to swallow harshly as the fabric sways with the movements of her hips. "Which earrings should I wear?" Maya asks, turning from her vanity to showcase a diamond earring in one ear and hoops in the other.