Chapter 29: Oh no.

ooooo man this do be gettin intense

also dont quote me on this adoption stuff its a fanfiction anything i say goes

okay enjoy <3

------------------------------------------------------

So here Peter was, sat in an office, after having have a great day with his God Parent's, possibly deciding his fate. He knew that there was a chance that things might go sideways and that Karl and Rose might want custody over him but he never planned that. He never really considered that an option.

In his mind the Avengers were his family, his safe-haven, the ones who he...hoped would never leave him. He still wasn't okay, part of him wouldn't ever be okay again after he lost his Dad. But Loki was there to relate, Steve was there to calm him down, Bruce was there to be kind and everyone else was special individually. Peter needed them all, he couldn't loose them.

And now there was a 50/50 chance.

Deep down he felt like this wasn't going to end well. Techincally nobody was his offical guardian, nobody had adopted him. And that somehow made the situation feel ten times worse.

"As off now I take it you, Mr Barnes, are Peter's guardian." Miss Claywood stated.

"Yes, he lives in the Tower with the rest of us."

"Okay, and Mr and Mrs Simons I pressume you both are possibly interested in adopting Peter? Or becoming his legal guardians?"

Rose hesitated slightly before answering, glimsping at Karl, Bucky and then Peter. "I, yes, that...that is something we are looking into."

Peter heard Bucky suck in a breath next to him at her answer. The air in the room seemed to tense slightly and Peter couldn't have felt more awkward. He was the reason that this was all going down in the first place and it bugged him to no end that everything was always a result of him.

"Now, obviously there are some legal guidelines we have to follow in order to make sure everything is safe. As of now Mr Barnes you are not legally his guardian, Tony Stark had signed adoption papers previously which was legalised. Unfortuantely, due to his recent passing, Mr Stark never placed a name of someone to look after Peter when he passed away."

"So that means.." Karl started.

"That both of you stand a chance of adoption. However, it is mainly based on the better living arrangements for Peter and what is the more suitable situation." She explained.

"Well, we just want what's best for Peter. But we would really like to adopt you," Rose said, smiling at the boy. "We really want to be in your life properly this time."

Peter smiled as best as he could but the whole sitation was overwhelming, as the time went on he became increasingly aware of how much this would effect him. He might be living with people who are pratically strangers. He could be loosing his current family.

Being completely honest the only thing he wanted was Tony. He just wanted to be safe in his arms again and live a semi-normal childhood, he was almost 18 for gods sake and yet his teenager years had passed so quickly.

The urge to just run out the room was so intense he felt sick. But he promised himself he wouldn't pull another stunt like that.

"Peter I know this is alot to take in but your opinion is something very important." His social worker said. "We have already looked into both of your living situations and.."

She looked between Bucky and the Simons before looking down at her paper. "Overall the Simons have a much better arrangment."

And suddenly the world crumbled around Peter. Suddenly everything was gone, the love, the protection, and it was just a pile of dust and rubble. He couldn't breath, couldn't think, it was eerily similar to when a building collapsed on him. And that was something he wished to never repeat.

"What? But we're the closest to Tony; if anything it's our duty to look after his son." Bucky protested.

"I know that this is all very confusing but Mr and Mrs Simons have a much more suitable lifestyle. With you and the others being Avengers, that makes a very unsuitable living arrangement. Peter is a still a child and missions would be a very dangerous enviroment for him."

The air was cold and Peter could feel it entering his lungs and paralyzing his insides. His chair was the only thing grounding his mind as he grasped blinding at the itcy fabric. No no no no...

"Nothing is offical yet I assure Mr Barnes and Peter-"

"He hardly knows them-"

"Peter." She said, interrupting Bucky and whatever he was about to say. "What do you think of this?"

The boy fiddled with his hands uncomfortably, he wanted to open his mouth but he feared that if he did then he would just choke.

"Hey hey it's okay bud." Bucky whispered, noticing his discomfort. "Just breath take your time."

And he did. He took a moment to catch his breath and sort through the mess of thoughts he called his mind before saying anything.

"Well-..I just..I just want...I don't know. I want to say with the Avengers, my family, but I..."

What did he want? After all he was just a waste of space, the others never signed up to looking after him. They never wanted to look after him. He was just thrown into their arms by diaster.

"I don't want to bother you guys. You..you are all busy with missions and I feel like I'm just in the way."

He wasn't ready for missions again.

What if he slipped up again?

Cause another life to be lost?

He didn't want to let that happen.

------------------------------------------------------