One evening Draco asked Hermione to accompany him to dinner at Malfoy Manor. He was worried about his father who didn't seem to be moving on after his wife's death. Draco thought bringing Hermione to the Manor may cheer his father up a bit. She had a sunny disposition and the manor had become a sad place. It was the place where the Dark Lord tortured the Malfoys. It was the place where Narcissa Malfoy fell ill and passed away. People didn't understand all the things the Malfoys had endured at the hands of the Dark Lord. Draco confided in Hermione. Growing up she always saw the Malfoys as thinking they were entitled, but the war changed them, the Dark Lord changed them. If they were at one time entitled that was no longer the case. Being controlled by, then escaping the Dark Lord made them see how privileged they were. It was privilege and not entitlement. Lucius was a shadow of the man he once was. He saw how his notions of pure blood wizards tore apart his family. He was grateful Draco had forgiven him. He was grateful to still have his dearest friend, Severus. Severus was there for him when Narcissa died and he was an integral part of making Draco understand why his father was like he was. He kept the father and son together.

Over that year Draco had been sent to Japan to oversee an expansion in a branch of his fathers ever expanding company. Hermione continued to visit Lucius and often times Severus would be there. She and Lucius had become close. He was very affectionate with her. He always hugged her and kissed the top of her head when she left but one evening as she was leaving Lucius didn't let go of her. After kissing her on top of her head he gently cradled her face in his hands. He told her how much her visits to the manor meant to him. He kissed her lips gently, pulled back and smiled down at her. Lucius exposing how vulnerable he was stirred something in Hermione and she kissed him. She kissed him much more passionately than he had kissed her. Lucius pulled back looking a bit shocked but quickly got over it. They became inseparable and spent every night after that together. They found great comfort and understanding in one another. Hermione had become a permanent fixture at Malfoy Manor. It was now her home.

One evening after dinner they had taken up their usual spot in front of the fireplace on the sofa. Hermione's nose buried in a book and Lucius looking through a financial magazine. Lucius asked Hermione how she felt about Severus. She thought it was a peculiar question. Severus did spend a few evenings a week with the couple, usually joining them for dinner. Lucius had noticed the two of them spent a lot of time dodging one another's eyes of late. He caught Severus staring at Hermione when she wasn't looking and had seen her blush more than once at the potions master. They would spend hours talking about brewing and books they had both read. Severus offered Hermione something Lucius could not. The conversation and intellectual stimuli of their mutual passion. Lucius was much more interested in financial endeavors and engaging in the finer things in life. Hermione indulged him, what girl didn't like nice things, but it was not her passion. Lucius suggested that Severus was lonely. Hermione agreed and told him she wished she knew someone that he would fancy but Severus was very closed off. It would take a special woman to keep his interest. Lucius told Hermione that he thought he knew just such a woman.

"Oh? And just who might that be?" She asked.

"You love."

At first she thought he was taking the piss but then realized he was dead serious. "That's ridiculous Lucius. I love you."

Lucius put down his magazine and took her hand in both of his. "I know you love me. I love you more than I can even put into words. But I see how you two look at one another. I'm not blind."

"Lucius how can you even say such a thing." She was clearly getting upset.

"Just hear me out love. That's all I ask."

Hermione took a deep breath and nodded.

"You mean the world to me. Severus is my oldest and dearest friend. I think he's in love with you and I think you already know that. We've all been through so much and honestly we're incredibly lucky to have even survived. Besides Draco you two are the most important people in my life." Lucius dropped his head into his hand and rubbed his eyes. "I can't watch Severus make himself miserable and I would never suggest you do anything that makes you uncomfortable but I don't think I'm wrong about this." Lucius looked up to gauge her expression.

Hermione felt heat in her face. She told herself to summon her Gryffindor courage and be honest. "I can't say I've not noticed and I very much enjoy when Severus is here, our time together, I- I don't know what to say Lucius. I love you more than life, this is confusing."

"It doesn't have to be love. I think if we're just honest it will be fine. I could never share you with anyone else. But I trust Severus completely and I want to see him be as happy as I am. I also don't think love has to be just two people and he is the only man I would trust with you." Lucius had a worried look on his face. "Just think about it love." I think Severus needs us. Actually I don't think it. I know it." He kissed her lips and then the back of her fingers to reassure her."