Final Preperations

Start from the beginning

"I am protecting people from dragons."

Eira stared at him. Either he was lying or less self-aware than Krogan. "Your methods suggest otherwise, but I get why you use them. You think the world is inherently violent and it's better to be the aggressor than the victim. And I bet you like control because you hate the feeling of having everything out of your control when you're the victim. I understand why you wouldn't want to feel that way ever again. But by running from the bad in life, you also shut yourself off from the good. You'll never truly be satisfied."

"Enough!" Drago glared at her with venom in his eyes. "I don't know who you are or why you think you know so much about me, but you will pay for interfering." He raised his arm and motioned to his men. "Let me show you-"

"Wait!" Hiccup exclaimed. "If you won't accept peace, I have another offer."

Drago made another motion and eyed Hiccup suspiciously. "What is it, boy?"

"Tomorrow, I will bring the best dragon we have to fight against yours and decide this. There is no reason for anyone else to get hurt."

"What's the matter? Afraid to face me now?"

"It's only fair to give advance notice of a challenge. What do you say, Drago?"

Drago stared at him long and hard. Then he let out a laugh. "You have no idea what you're up against, boy. Fine, this should be amusing. Tomorrow it is."

Hiccup eyed him carefully. "Okay. Tomorrow." He signaled to everyone to take off. Thankfully, Drago did not try to attack them with their backs turned. They flew into the other dragon riders as soon as they were off the island.

"How did it go?" Astrid said.

"Toothless and I will fight him tomorrow."

Astrid gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry. I know that's not how you wanted it to end up."

Hiccup sighed. "There's nothing we can do about it now. Let's just get home and tell everyone else."

They flew to Berk in an uncomfortable silence. Upon their arrival, they were met by Stoick, Gobber, Krogan, and Eret. Eira immediately slid off Swiftwings and went to Krogan, who appeared relieved to see her. "I'm alright," she said before hugging him. "I told you I'd make it back." He said nothing, but the way he hugged her back told her all she needed to know.

"So, did it work?" Gobber said anxiously.

"Well, we weren't captured or attacked," Ingrid said.

"Drago agreed to the fight tomorrow," Hiccup said. "It will be Toothless against his Bewilderbeast."

"Are you sure we can trust him to hold to those conditions?" Stoick said suspiciously.

"No, and that's why I won't go alone."

Stoick nodded. "Good. Now you're talking sense. We need to prepare for a full-out battle."

Eira silently listened to the plan that developed, not really having anything to add. She had already done her job, and now she just had to be ready to fight. She wasn't looking forward to it. She did not realize Krogan was watching her until he said quietly, "Are you alright?"

She studied his face, which showed more emotion than usual. Was that concern she saw? "I'm fine. I wish I could have done something more for Drago, but I ran out of time."

"You still wish to save him after meeting him?"

"Well, yes. I believe there's something worth saving in everyone." She paused. "Is that bad?"