Chapter 18 Killing the Beast

Kotori and Amelie set out soon after eating.

The first thing they had to do was confirm the location of the lizard monster and make sure they could set up a path to accurately run away from it without getting caught.

Kotori soon found an area of the forest where vines hung rather low and thus would hamper the lizard if it tried to chase them through it.

The lizard itself was easy to find as well. It was lazily roaming the forest. The step it was making shook the ground and made it rather easy to find. The area around it was quiet and likely due to the fact that it was scaring away all the nearby fauna.

[The hunter has become the hunted]

Kotori thought in bemusement. Watching the Lizard that had once terrorized her gave her a sense of satisfaction.

The plan was simple. Amelie would lead the lizard around and Kotori would hide in the underbrush and blast it with occasional waves of magic. If something went wrong Amelie could just climb a nearby tree and the lizard would likely give up. Now if Kotori was caught it would be a completely different story. But Kotori was confident the lizard wasn't going to notice her.

The underbrush was deep and she would have Shu cover her in a light layer of dirt to hide her scent.

The trap was set.

Amelie led the beast over and Kotori began to blast it with pain-tinted music. The first time she hit the lizard it looked shocked, looking around it gave a roar of anger, but soon after it began to ignore the pain. The Lizard lumbered along chasing Amelie who darted around the clearing like a scared rabbit. Often zig-zagging around and doubling back so that they stayed in the small clearing. To an outsider, it would look bizarre. A 16-year-old girl running around and willingly getting chased by a dinosaur-like creature would be a bizarre sight to anyone. Even to the denizens of this world.

It was going well. The lizard appeared to be taking damage although it wasn't visible when Kotori used "Status'' She saw that it was indeed taking damage. The small Hp Number bar it had was starting to lower at a steady rate.

[Wow, this is simple I guess it's just a dumb beast at the end of the day]

Kotori would soon learn that thought was very wrong.

Kotori and Amelie had been fighting the lizard for quite a while. It had reached around 25% HP. Kotori was in a good mood the plan was going well.

That was until the lizard suddenly turned its head towards Kotori and walked in her direction.

In the beginning, Kotori thought it was a fluke

[There's no way this lizard knows where I am] She thought.

Despite her surprise, the lizard still kept walking towards her.

Even though it seemed impossible it kept walking in Kotori's direction

She quickly looked around to see if anything else had caught its attention. But there was nothing in the area besides trees and vegetation.

[I caught its attention?]

Kotori soon realized that just like video games the Monster had an aggro system and she had done enough damage that it was going to start targeting her instead of Amelie who posed no danger.

Amelie tried to throw sticks and stones at the Lizard but it paid her no heed and still kept walking towards Kotori with a purpose.

Kotori began to run