16: Halloween Festivities

Start from the beginning

This was a sight Guinevere wasn't used to. Usually her older cousin would always be in a good mood. What she loved most about him was how he was able to cheer anyone up when they weren't having a good day. And she admired him for that. Which was why she wanted him to know that she'd do the same for him. She'd be there for him like he was for her.

She continued her way to the kitchen, —eager for tea— wondering what upset Sirius, only to be greeted by a sight which upset her too.

Perhaps he pissed off Sirius too.

Remus started the day with a frown, remembering the date.

October 31.

To many, it was the day of victory, celebrating the Dark Lord's demise, signifying the start of a new era. Though to him, it was the time he was left alone, the day he practically became the last marauder standing.

He recalled the days where he just stared blankly at the wall, not knowing what to do. He remembered sobbing on the floor, shaken with grief. In the span of just one night, everyone and everything dear to him was gone; leaving him alone to wallow in pain, self pity sometimes.

He shook his head, as if trying to rid the thoughts plaguing his mind. He slowly willed himself to head to the dining room. Remus rubbed his sunken eyes, sighing deeply.

When he reached the room, He saw that Sirius was already there, having a cuppa. Kreacher was sulking in the shadows, hissing insults.

Sirius looked at him then nodded, "Moony." He said, acknowledging his presence and ignoring the elf.

Remus gave him a small smile, sitting across him. No one said a word, Both of them just stared at their hands. Tensed silence filled the room, the pair not really knowing how to break it.

"Fancy some tea?" Sirius asked quietly, attempting to break the tension in the air. Remus nodded, and at this, Sirius beckoned for Kreacher to make him some, but Remus objected.

"It's alright, I can do it myself," Remus said, standing up. He'd rather not get poisoned by the dodgy elf, who stalked out of the room, glaring at nothing in particular.

After brewing himself a cup, he took his seat again, facing Sirius, who remained silent, not meeting his eyes.

Remus decided to not say anything, and just drank his tea in a somber manner. After a few quiet moments, Sirius was the one to break the silence, yet again.

"They say that grief flies away on the wings of time," Sirius murmured, voice breaking and still not meeting Remus' gaze. "How come it's still here?"

Remus knew that after all these years, James's death still hit Sirius hard. Why wouldn't it? They were brothers, after all. Remus was not sure on how he should respond, but merely stayed quiet, showing Sirius that he's listening.

"It was my fault, Moony," Sirius whispered, Remus frowned at him.

"Don't be silly, Pads, It wasn't your fault--"

"But it was," Sirius cut him off, "I made them make Peter their secret keeper." Sirius spat out Peter's name like it was venom, showing just how much the man hated the traitor.

"You didn't know he'd betray them, Sirius." Remus said, "None of us did."

Remus knew how much Sirius blamed himself for their friends' death. He knew that Sirius wallowed in self-hatred shortly after escaping Azkaban, he was there to witness it. None of them expected Peter to turn to the dark side, but now, Remus realized that Peter's seemingly helpless facade was a great cover up for his true colors.