It was as if he was right on cue.

I opened my mouth, feeling tension through my jaw up into my ear.

I cringed at the tension and pain.

"That's what I'm going to fix." I heard my dad say.

Maybe it won't be as bad.

I mean he's not Dr. Tony, but he's my dad and I feel a little bit comfortable, a little.

He knows my fear and I trust him.

I feel my dads fingers enter my mouth, and then a soaked cotton ball.

That could only mean one thing.

I opened my eyes and I was greeted by my dads emerald eyes.

"I know that you know what's coming up. But I want you to take a deep breath and let me do it."

I closed my eyes.

This isn't about to happen.

I open my mouth and I feel a mouth prop get slipped in, as the cotton ball gets removed.

He means business now.

I couldn't stop the tears that started escalating down my face.

I can't do this.

My mouth is in pain, my ear is in pain.

I can't face my dad, with him being all dentisty.

I can't do this.

I can't handle the needle, knowing that it's going to send a shockwave of pain throughout my whole mouth.

I wouldn't even have this pain if my dad hadn't had his wisdom teeth come in so early that mine had to come in early too.

I can't do this.

I open my eyes to see my dad positioning the needle.

I move out of the way, and side swipe the needle.

I rip out the mouth prop and full on jump out of the chair.

"That was very dangerous, Sage." My dad says as he sets the needle back down on the counter.

I sit in the corner on a chair and just watch his movements.

I can't go back and sit in that chair.

I can't sit there and be vulnerable in front of my dad.

He gets so mad over the littlest things. If I get a cavity, he gets mad. Or if I freak out over a needle, he gets mad.

I could only imagine what he's going to do.

He pulls down his mask and pinches the bridge of his nose between his two fingers.

"Sage, please honey. I have to fix this."

I pull my knees up to my chest as I lean against the wall and wipe the tears off of my face.

"It's only going to get worse. I'm trying to help you. Your mom knows the same exact feeling."

I didn't say anything. I just stared at him, hoping he doesn't get mad.

My dad ripped off his gloves and mask, knowing that I wasn't going to communicate with him anytime soon.

I look back out the window, watching a young boy play frisbee with a very fluffy dog.

I don't think my fear will ever go away.

N o a h