T h r e e

Uncle Collin and I got to my house, and my mom greeted Uncle Collin with open arms.

I was going to head up to my room, but my dad stopped me as I was going up the stairs.

"Hey love, how's your mouth?" He asked, as I walked back down the stairs to meet him.

"Still numb." I said as he pulled me into a hug.

"You were very brave to volunteer for your great uncle like that. How long ago did he inject you?" He asked pulling away from our hug.

I just shrugged my shoulders, but then he grabbed my hand and we went towards my great uncle in the kitchen with my mom.

"When did you inject Sage?" My dad asked as he softly rubbed my back, seeing my great uncle stop talking to my mom.

"Why? You still numb?" My great uncle said coming over to me.

"Yeah, just a little." I said as my great uncle, my mom, and my dad begin to surround me.

I hate when they go all dentist-y on me, especially all three of them.

"Guys, I'm fine!" I exclaimed as I slowly backed away, and got them away from me.

"I guess I gave her a little too much anesthetic. I'll remember that next time." My great uncle said, causing my parents to agree with him and leave me alone.

"Maybe you should just eat some soup tonight." My mom said as I made my way over to the cabinet and looked for a good can of soup.

My mom and great uncle continued talking as I made soup, my dad watching at the counter.

"Your grandfather is throwing a party tomorrow, for all employees of Samuels Dentistry and their guests. I'm sure your grandfather would be happy to see you and your beautiful smile." My dad said as I got my soup and sat down at the counter next to him.

I don't really want to go to any party that my grandfather throws. Especially if I'm going to be at a party full of dentists, who would just judge my teeth half the time. Even after I just got four fillings and going to get a cleaning and a consult to get braces in a week, he would still find something to say.

I consider my grandfather old fashioned and very professional. My great uncle has told me stories of how strict he is as a dentist, I can't imagine that anybody from his office is nice, especially that Karen orthodontist.

I don't want to go to that party, but my parents would know something was up.

"Yeah sure dad, I'll go. What should I wear?" I asked lying through my teeth.

I absolutely do not want to go.

"Maybe just one of your cute pantsuits or rompers. It's not like anybody will be in scrubs, they will be wearing dressy stuff. So just wear whatever you want as long as you feel comfortable." My dad said as I got to the bottom of my soup, my lips able to feel the heat of the soup, and my mouth finally becoming less numb.

My dad got up and went over to my mom who was sitting in the dining room.

I was wondering where Uncle Collins went before I see that he was coming to sit next to me.

"Is it getting any better?" He asks me as he sits down.

I nodded my head, moving to put my bowl in the sink.

"How many injections did Anthony give you?" He whispered when I got back over to him.

"Four, not including the one you gave."

"You got five injections?! No wonder you're still numb."

"He didn't want it to wear off when he was using the drill."

"Are you going tomorrow night?"

I looked confused at my uncle.

"You already know? I am going, are you going?"

"Of course I'm going. Every member of the branch is required to go, so even Anthony will be there. And remember when I got a phone call when Anthony was bonding the composite, that was when your grandfather called me saying that we have to go."

I just nodded my head in understanding.

"Remember to be sensitive when brushing and flossing, and be cautious of which foods to avoid." Uncle Collins said to me before patting me on the shoulder and walking away.

"I'll see you tomorrow." He said as he walked down the hall and towards my parents.

My parents said goodbye to my uncle, my mom giving him a hug as he left.

"I'm going to go ahead and go to bed. Goodnight." I said, hugging my parents. They didn't question me. I'm sure they had as long of a day as I did.

I heard them say goodnight before I walked up the stairs to my room so I could finally go to sleep, and mentally prepare myself to face my family of dentists tomorrow.