33: Rocket, Party City, and the Flint Michigan Police Department

Start from the beginning

"Sweet sentiment." I nod, then turn to Hugo.

"I honestly still don't know." He shrugs. "I genuinely thought I was straight until he was kissing me and I was into it and then I realized like a hundred things between last night and now and I'm still so fucking confused."

I raise my eyebrows. "Okay, yeah, sure, we've all been there."

Rocket is leaning on his forearms on the table, watching the interaction. "Four gay men in one spot," Rocket clears his throat. "Honestly this last month has been the most gay people I've ever been around ever."

Wilhelm and Hugo glance at each other for a moment, then both shrug. We work slowly for a few minutes before Wilhelm addresses Rocks: "You're quite peppy for a guy who's boyfriend looks like he needs more coffee." Wilhelm jokes, folding up a table.

"It's the ADHD, I'm exhausted." He laughs in return. "Who knew other professional athletes are hard to keep up with. What about you two? You look dead."

Hugo lets out a soft laugh, Wil stands a little stunned for a moment. "Well, staying up most of the night after a full day event around a wedding is kinda asking a lot of us two and our office job schedules." Hugo mumbles.

"Fair," Rocket yawns. "The longer we can take to fold up these tables the less other stuff we have to do."

"I second that," Wilhelm raises his hand. "All things considered my legs are sore."

"Agreed," I mumble back at him.

We spend an hour folding fifteen tables.

By the time we all work our way back up to the others, the two groomsmen have completed their chores and have disappeared again, and the other three are sitting out with takeout lunch on the porch.

I stare at the hard wooden chair for a moment or two then bite my tongue and sit down as gently as unsuspiciously as possible.

Milo ruins it by just flopping down next to me, hand immediately landing on my thigh to give me three taps.

I tap his hand back twice. I'm alright, sore, but alright.

He taps back twice, probably meaning 'good' or something close.

I sigh and set my head down on the table, preparing to take a tiny power nap right here.

Milo, curse that ADHD, seems fine, fidgety, but fine. Yeah, he's ticking, here and there I've seen him do the eye-scrunch and the little head shake which means that the six hours of sleep was not enough, but, he's awake.

His hand slips into the hair on the back of my head, running his fingers through it, twisting it gently around his pinky, just something to fidget with while he sits.

I knock out. I set my head down and he started playing with my hair and I was gone.

I wake up in the same exact spot, his hand now toying with the tag on my shirt.

"Nngh," I mumble, trying to get something across but unable to find the words in english. "Time?"

"You've been out for an hour," he responds. "Welcome back."

"Hm," I mumble, picking up my head.

"You've got pillow face from your shirt." He reaches up and rubs his hand across my cheek like it's going to help. "We got you a sandwich."

"Really?"

"Yeah, stupid, I wasn't going to eat lunch and not get you anything."

I shake my head, trying to wake myself up the rest of the way. Vera is gone, the two girls are walking back from the house, and then Wilhelm and Hugo seem to be on a walk of sorts, wandering on the edge of the woods way way way far away on the edge of the property.