9. Annoying and Useless

-Theo-

-Theo-

The weekend was... too quiet. It was nerve-wracking, to say the least. The silence was scarier than Allen's constant screaming and yelling. I spent the whole weekend in my room or wandering around the city, and Allen didn't try to bother me, not even once. The few times our paths crossed, he pretended I didn't even exist.

When Monday morning came, I crawled out of my bed and took a quick shower. When I was drying my hair, I looked at my reflection in the small mirror in the bathroom. My bruises were healing, their color now sickly yellow, and I wasn't coughing that much anymore. The shadows around my eyes weren't as deep as before and I felt rested and energetic – it was something I hadn't felt in a while, and it was weird.

I turned my arm so I could see the scars that formed Beau's name. My skin was dry around the old cuts, and the scabs were scaling off on their own. Maybe this time I didn't need to make the wounds again – maybe I didn't need to remind myself anymore. This time could be different.

I'd been thinking about Beau a lot during that weekend. I was too afraid to call him, but I hadn't heard anything from him either. I wanted to believe he had lost my number, or maybe he was too ashamed to contact me. I'd come up with many reasons for his silence, and those were the better options.

But whatever Beau's reason for not contacting me was, I did feel cheerier, and I was almost looking forward to going to school. I dressed up and packed my bag before making my way downstairs to find something to eat. I was hungrier than usual. My dad had already left for work, and Allen left the kitchen the second I stepped in.

I almost felt bad for my brother. Almost.

I ate a toast for breakfast and grabbed an apple to eat on my way to school. The sun seemed brighter than usual. It was amazing how a good night's sleep and not having to be afraid of getting hurt could make such a difference. I almost smiled when I thought about Deon. I needed to thank him. Even if it was just for a few days, he really had helped me a lot. I'd been desperate for a small break, after all.

After arriving at school, I decided to go look for him instead of hiding somewhere. I wanted to buy him a large cup of coffee as a thank you. He'd most likely appreciate that, and I nearly smiled when I thought about it. I knew how ridiculous I was for thinking like that, but I'd been without a friend for far too long. It felt quite nice to be useful for once.

I walked through the gates of the school and tried to see Deon's car in the parking lot, but he was probably running late – I didn't see his Mustang anywhere. I continued my way to the doors, thinking about hiding somewhere close to the cars so I could see when Deon arrived, but then I heard a familiar, chilling voice close by.

"Hey, fag!"

I almost jumped in fear when I heard the voice and sprung around. Sean and his buddies were standing right behind me with evil smirks on their faces.