Chapter 5: Compliments

Start from the beginning

"Morning" he yawned, stretching his arms out.

"Morning" I yawned back. He looked me up and down, "Where are you going?" 

"No where..yet. I don't have class until 10. I just wanted to feel productive" I said as I let us both in. 

"I'm surprised you're up this early...you hate waking up early" he frowned. I didn't say anything. 

"You haven't unpacked?...Like at all?!" Cam sounded concerned. 

"I've got it under control" I assured him. "You sure? because it doesn't seem like it" he looked around. He looked like he was going to continue the conversation, and by the look on his face it was going to be about my behavior, I know the look. When I get frustrated I push people away and my anxiety gets worse. I changed the subject before he could get a word in. 

"By the way, we're having dinner with Leah and Chandler" I ripped a box opened. "If you're down" I placed items onto my desk. 

He jerked his chin towards his chest," Like a double date?" 

"No, like friends. We're dating people remember?" 

"Right, about that...I broke up with Lexi" he whispered the last part. 

"You what!?"

"Callie! you can't get mad at me, we both know that we were with them for the wrong reasons" 

'I know'  I thought quietly to myself. "Maybe you were, but I'm not. Kian loves me" I assured him, but I was really assuring myself. There was silence. "But are you in love with him Callie?" he asked softly. 

We got a lot of unpacking done by the time I went to my poetry class, I just need two more boxes. We're doing our first major assignment, but we have to do it with a partner. I don't know anyone that's in this class, well I don't know anyone. I looked around as everyone started sitting with their partners. I slumped into my chair so my professor wouldn't pair me up with anyone. Someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around, startled. 

"Sorry" a man said, noticing that he startled me. He had dark brown hair and his skin was olive. His eyes were blue and he seemed pretty fit. He looked like he was about four inches taller than me. I'm 5'1 so almost everyone I notice is taller than me. 

"Uh It's okay" I said as I gathered my books. "I noticed you didn't have a partner...am I right?" he looked around me and then directly at me. "Oh-uh-yeah I don't have a partner" I stuttered, I started to rub on my knuckles. 

"Well looks like you do now" he smiled. He put his hand out, so I could shake it. I reached out and shook it. "Elijah" he smiled. I nodded 

"Calliope, but I go by Callie" I scooted down a seat, leaving a space for him to sit.

"Wow, That's a beautiful name" he sounded mesmerized. "Thanks, I get that a lot" I squared my shoulders. He was still looking at me. I turned towards him and said 'what?' with my face. 

"Beautiful name, for a beautiful girl" He smiled at his books. There was silence between us. 

"I um-" I stuttered, "What kind of poem did you have in uh-in mind for the assignment?" I said, looking flushed. No one's ever complimented me like that. I don't get the attention how Aria does. Only my name gets compliments.

"I want to try something new, I usually write about my thoughts" he opened his notebook. "What do you write about?" he frowned his eyebrows. 

"I write romantic poems and words that just float around in my head" I was talking to his pencil. 

"So do you want to write a romantic poem?" he asked firmly.

"I-I mean we could" I talked with my hands.

"So how do you even come up with romantic poems? Do you go based on your experiences?" He started. "The only reason I don't write them is because I've never actually been in love" he looked at me.  

"I go based off of...books I've read" I sounded embarrassed, and I was. 

"Smart" he chuckled. He looked down at his watch. "Fuck, we only have two minutes left of class. Did you want to get together tonight so we can start?" he said, sounding rushed.

"Um yeah sure, What time?" I said, starting to pack up my things.

"7?" he grabbed his books.

"Can't, how about 9?" I said

"Yeah, perfect meet me at the library" He said excitedly.

"O-okay?" I sort of yelled down the hall.

By the time it was lunch, I couldn't wait. I skipped breakfast this morning. I kept thinking about what Cam said to me. 'Am I in love with Kian?' it kept floating around in my head. 'Of course' I assured myself. 

"You okay?" Nova asked as I tugged on a piece of thread that was hanging from my t-shirt. 

"She's freaking out" Cam laughed, not meaning it.

"Oh my god, why? What happened?" Nova's eyes went wide. She didn't catch onto Cam's joke.

"He's kidding" I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, but you do seem like something is bothering you" she looked me in my eyes.

"Nothing is bothering me" I assured her

"Do you want to go to a quieter place?" She said standing up, "I get it, there's a lot of people in here, the dining hall is usually packed around this ti-" I cut her off

"No Nova, I'm fine. I'm not a fucking little kid anymore. Stop acting like my mom!" I snapped.

She looked hurt, but I was too annoyed to apologize. There was silence. Karl broke it by talking to Cam. He's good at lightening the mood. Nova just continued to eat her food. I pulled out my phone and started texting my dad. 

          Me: Hey, I miss you. I'm ready to leave. I just yelled at Nova in the dining hall, we don't even share a room anymore and we still fight.

        Dad: You're staying, and I miss you too. WOW you have balls! But on a real note stop fighting with your sister. I'll kill both of you before you get a chance to kill each other. Love you!

      Me: Love you too, I'll call you tomorrow.

    Dad: Sounds good