Chapter 4

The box sat in the corner of Catra's room for a few hours now. It wasn't that late when she got home, so she felt like there was nothing to do. It wasn't like she could go have a chat with her mother as normal daughters do. So she got to planning. On Monday she would hand Adora that necklace and say " I'm so sorry for not coming to your game and not being able to see your shiny muscles in action," With her hands laced together and brought to her chin like Shirley Temple.

Definitely not. That was not going to work. Sweetness was not Catra's way of flirting. Her way was more like saying " Here take the bag, you idiot. This is not because I like you." While she was facing the opposite way. Perfect. But also not at all. She felt that Adora wanted nothing to do with her and had a bounty on her for not coming to a simple softball game. But that would all change once she saw the necklace. She could hand it over to one of her friends- nope that wasn't going to work. She had made a fool of herself in front of them yesterday, so that's out of the question.

Walking over to the box, Catra took it out and held the bag it was kept and held it inside her palm. It really was beautiful and it would suit Adora perfectly. Truth is, Catra had only been in one relationship her whole life and it was with Scorpia. And Catra didn't feel as strongly as she did in the relationship. Anyway, that meant she never knew how to get into long-lasting romantic relationships, where both people were interested.

Remembering that she hadn't eaten at all, Catra decided to head out of her room and into the kitchen to get some food. Her mom rarely grocery shopped, and when she did it was for wine. So, Catra had to make do with what they had in the cabinets. She didn't know if her mother was gone or not, but decided to risk it anyway for the stake of hunger. Shadow Weaver didn't cook at all, Catra's only meals were from school or ones she made herself.

Having made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the teen was sated enough for the day. She knew it wasn't enough, but this was all she could manage. The next day was going to be tough, she was Catra, she could do this.

She could not do this. Adora was freaking out, as she always does. She could not figure out this poem business for the life of her. And this was her thing! Maybe it wasn't anymore. She had softball, and-. Wow, that was it. Mara had said speak from the heart, but Adora could never do that. She thought she was good at writing, but now that was out the window.

Knock, knock. Adora walked over to her door and opened it, seeing her mom with a bowl of fruit in her hands. " Mom! I thought you had work on Sunday's, " Adora said in surprise. "Well, not today. I took a day off to spend some time with you, honey, " Mara said while setting the tray on Adora's desk and sitting on her bed. She patted next to her to signal Adora to sit with her, and she did.

Reaching out to hold her daughter's hand, Mara spoke up " Adora, I have something to tell you." Adora jumped to the worst conclusions. Cancer? Job loss? Oh gosh, they were going to be homeless. " Hello, sweetie you there?" Mara chuckled while waving her hand in Adora's face. " Adora I know how you are, I'm not dying or losing my job." Adora could've cried. She spoke up again. " I'm dating someone."

Eyes almost popping out of her skull, Adora gave Mara a shocked look " Huh? Who? Since when? Mom!" The woman rolled her eyes at her kids' ridiculousness. "You actually know her, it's Hope."

Hope was actually Adora's soon to be stepmom from years ago. Adora loved her and was sad to realize she wasn't coming back, until now. Mara and Hope were dating whenever she was around 5 years old until she was 13. She was considered a mom in Adora's eyes. Now, Adora knew why she told her that story on Friday night, it was to warm her up at the idea of Hope coming back.

"When can I see her! Omg, it's been years," Adora cried after jumping up and spinning in a circle. Mara watched in amusement at her baby's excitement towards the idea of a reunion. " She wants to take things slower this time, Adora. That means you probably won't be calling her mama again so soon." That made Adora stop celebrating. Why doesn't Hope want to see her? It's been four freaking years! " But why mom? You guys were together for years! How can you go slow again?"