Chapter 23

Josh's POV

Day 3

I tap my foot on the floor, creating an unsteady rhythmic beat. I'm nervous. The phone is ringing but after 2 rings I'm already anxious. What will Jennifer say? What will I say? After I messaged her the other night, she replied last night with the words "We need to talk." Waiting a whole day feeling guilty and awful was hard, but this is the real challenge.

Finally I hear her voice, loud and familiar. I breathe deeply.

"Jen." I sigh.

"Josh." She clears her throat, like she's barely holding back tears.

"I'm-" I try to start my long apology, but am interrupted when a message appears on my screen. Claudia. She called a lot yesterday, and I tried to ignore it all, but right now I feel the need to read what she's sent.

"Josh, what's happening?" Jen asks, a slightly strained voice.

"Nothing. I love you so much Jen." I reply.

"I love you too but-"

"I think we should continue this conversation in person." I cut her off.

"That's breaking the rules." Jen states.

"We're breaking them now. Besides, telling you what I did will never feel right over a phone." I tell her, frowning slightly.

"Okay..." She lets silence fill the air.

"Are you okay?" I ask; suddenly worried of what she has done. One dreadful thought crosses my mind. Nick.

"I'm fine, I just need to rest." She replies.

I don't say anything, and when the pause becomes overwhelming, I press hang up.

I go to my messages and read Claudia's text.

"I went to the doctor's yesterday for my checkup. You never answered your phone, I was just asking if you could come. Considering there's a chance the baby is yours, I was hoping you could support me. Obviously you had other plans. The other guy came instead. I don't know where we are, Josh. I still love you. But if you can't be here for me and the baby, maybe I will have to be with him. Even if it's yours."

I bury my face in my hands. I want to be with Jen, I love her more than anything, but this baby- if it's mine...it could change everything. It would be my life. I'm not ready for kids, of course, but thinking of a future where I'm with my baby, just staring at them with love, makes me feel impossibly happy.

I never considered children with anyone, now that it's coming, I have to think about my decisions clearer. I can't just think of myself anymore. What about Jennifer? And Claudia? I could lose both of them if I don't play my cards right, and by losing Claudia means I'm losing this baby.

By losing Jen...well, I'm losing the love of my life. The one who can make me laugh. My best friend. For her to avoid me at every turn is too painful to even think about.

I can't think straight right now, so instead I just keep my one and only wish close. It can't be my baby. Please don't be.

My eyes start to water; and for once it happens. The tears spill from my eyes, sliding down my cheeks, my heart thumping along with my sobs.

That's when my phone starts to ring, I'm expecting it to say Claudia or Jen, but instead it's a private number that I don't recognize. Because I'm too upset and careless to worry, I just answer it.

"Hello?"

"Um...hi." There's a deep, strained voice on the other end that doesn't strike me as familiar.