Chapter 26

Jen's POV

"Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence have broken up! Sources confirm that the couple were not built to last, and Jennifer actually used Josh for the publicity! This is crazy, listen in for more after the-"

Josh flicks off the television before they say anything more. It blares through the house and happened to be on that channel, and of course, they were talking about us. It has been 20 minutes and I haven't spoken yet. We have stood silently in the kitchen, thinking all of this over.

"Josh."

"Jen."

We speak simultaneously, and I shut my mouth, gesturing for him to speak.

"We can get through this, I know we can." He whispered, tears shining in his eyes.

"Then what? We see yours and Claudia's child every week, it may even come down to you moving in with her." I buried my face in my hands.

"No, it won't. Listen, Jen-" Josh made a sound of choking on his tears, and it nearly broke my heart, but he managed to continue, "if...if it makes you happy...I can just leave and she can be with the other guy, Roger. He could be the baby's father figure and they would be happy and so would we."

But I could see in Josh's eyes he was lying. That it would kill him not being able to raise his own kid. Not see him grow up. His own child would grow up not even knowing that Josh Hutcherson was his real father, not even knowing that something of his own face would resemble Josh's.

"I couldn't do that to you." I said, and it took me a moment to realise what had to be done.

"Jen-" Josh was about to have a long speech about how much he needed me, but I cut him off.

"You need to be with Claudia and the baby." I said, sniffing although no tears were running down my face.

"What about us?" He asked, putting a hand on my arm. A friendly gesture. But Josh and I weren't just friends, and we couldn't ever be.

"We don't mean anything," I shook my head, laughing and crying, "compared to this baby. We really are nothing."

He looked at me, surprised a little. His hand fell from my arm, and he barely looked at me.

"And you...you will just be with Alex?" He whispered. I was shocked he would even mention Alex in this moment. A little offended, but I knew he was asking this because he worried about me.

"Maybe." I confessed, gulping.

"Oh. I should've known. First it was Nick, then it was me, now it's Alex." Josh laughed sadly.

"Josh..." I said, confused. Why was he thinking about this? Everything that's happened today and that's still first on his mind.

"Don't bother. I'm going to go back to Claudia's." He said, grabbing his jacket.

"Back to Claudia's?" I asked, letting my jealousy get the best of me.

"Yes. Before you came in here for no reason, I had just got back from Claudia's house. That was when she told me about the baby, about the tests. I promised her I would stick with her, that was unless you couldn't handle it. But now I have your answer, I'm going to go live happily ever after with her." Josh glared at nothing in particular; then walked out with his keys in his hand.

I stood there, feeling a sense of regret and anger. I guess he trusted I would let myself out, but I felt too sad to step out of here. Instead, I found my way to the lounge room. It was untouched, DVD's in a collection. I remember when he told me he kept movies just for me. I felt anger coarse through my veins. Before I knew what I was doing, I had reached the DVD's set nicely and was throwing them around, knocking things over. I found a glass and poured some red wine in it, then walked to his bedroom.