Chapter 38

"Seriously, you guys are so on and off I forget if you even like each other sometimes." Sam laughed. It was a few too many wines later, and Josh, Sam and I weren't fully capable of holding our tongues.

"Probably because some days she's in love with Alex, or some random dude, then others with me!" Josh exaggerates, and they both going into fits of laughter.

I'm not completely aware of what's happening due to the alcohol, so of course, I laugh too, not knowing it was an insult.

"Sometimes Josh is making out with Claudia and some days, he's getting her pregnant!" I giggle, and Sam and Josh stare at me in shock.

I stop laughing and look at their faces, then an awkward silence washes over us.

"Wha?" Sam looks at Josh then back to me.

"She's joking." Josh says, as they've both seemed to sober up.

"No I'm not!" I say, realising I haven't sobered up at all.

"Jen." Josh hisses at me, forcing me to play along.

The alcohol reactions are unstoppable, and I'm finding it hard to comprehend the situation.

"Josh, you knocked up Claudia?" Sam raises his eyebrows.

"No. It's a joke, right Jen?" Josh pushes me to answer.

"Huh? Oh, yeah." I giggle, completely oblivious.

"Josh." Sam looks at him intently.

"Okay. Fine. Claudia is pregnant and it may or may not be my baby. Thanks a lot, Jen." Josh snaps, real anger in his voice as he gets up and walks off.

Now I've definitely sobered up.

I watch as he walks upstairs, then feel Sam's eyes on me.

"I-I didn't mean to..." I hesitate.

"Just go upstairs, Jen." Sam cuts in, and grabs his jacket.

"Fix things up and I'll call you guys in the morning. It's late anyway, Laura will be worried." Sam goes to walk out, but I stop him.

"I'm sorry about this. I was so drunk until Josh made me hit my senses. Just please don't bring the whole baby thing up ever again." I plead.

"I won't Jen. Don't worry. I just want you guys to be happy- so go, hurry." He gestures for me to go upstairs to Josh, and I give him a smile of thanks before rushing up. I hear the door close and look around until I find Josh in the guest room, sitting on the bed.

"Josh." I sigh, sitting next to him, he makes no movement.

"It's so embarrassing. And it looks like I cheated on you, when we weren't even together at the time." He buries his face in his hands.

"I didn't mean to hurt you- it just kinda came out. But Sam doesn't care. And no one else will find out." I put a hand on his shoulder.

"I know. It just hurts when you say it, like you're...pitying me, almost." He whispers.

"I don't pity you, Josh. You know that. I never mean to hurt you." I whisper back.

"Yeah..." Josh sighs, "I'm gonna sleep in here tonight. I just need to think about things."

"What?" I ask, confused.

"It's only one night." He shrugs, pulling back the blankets.

"Yeah, but I can't fall asleep without you." I tug on his sleeve.

"You'll see me in the morning, Jen. Go to bed." He shakes his head sadly, going to lie down, but I take his face in my hands and crash my lips onto his.