【Chapter s i x 】

Why did Chiaki have to go so soon? I whine internally. I just wanted a few more moments of sweet, sweet rest.

"Hey. What're you doing sulking around? C'mon, let's get this over with," a certain gymnast shouts, lazily picking at the inside of her ear.

"Oh, my apologies!" I gasp, placing a hand over my mouth. "I didn't mean to take up any of your time."

"Eh, I don't really care," she shrugs, inspecting her finger for any earwax. "I'm Akane Owari, by the way. Nice to meetcha."

Ew.

I smile sweetly to keep from grimacing. "Pleasure. I'm y/n l/n, the Ultimate Darling. What's your title? I don't believe you've told me."

"Oh right, I forgot. I'm the Ultimate Gymnast. Nice to meetcha."

"You've already exchanged pleasantries, but okay," I sigh.

"Hm? What'd you say?" Akane asks.

I jump. "Oh, I-uh- was just- fuck- a bit shocked! You don't seem like a gymnast. I mean, your skirt and top seem incredibly inconvenient and unsuitable for such activities. I'd have expected you to wear a leotard and sweats or something."

"Oh, I didn't feel like wearing one, so I just went with whatever I had. Besides, I can do anything even without wearing any gear," she states in a nonchalant manner.

"Really?" I question, leaning forward with wide eyes. "I heard that it's difficult to do intricate, aerial moves without the proper attire. The loose clothing and hair would usually get in the way. You really are the ultimate gymnast!"

A confused expression spreads across Akane's face. She plants her hands on her hips and bows her head slightly to meet mine. "Duh. I already told you my Ultimate, didn't I?"

I roll my eyes slightly, massaging my temple. "I didn't mean it in that way, Owari." The gymnast doesn't respond, instead choosing to scan her eyes over my body.

"You're fallible as hell. I bet you couldn't even lift a thirty five pound weight for more than five seconds," she comments, scrunching her eyebrows.

"Ha ha! Yeah, well, my talent doesn't exactly relate to athletic prowess," I chirp, hiding my annoyance behind gritted teeth.

If she doesn't stop commenting on my lack of muscle, I will beat her over the head with a spatula.

"Hey, you look about ready to snap. What's up?"

I run a hand through my hair. "Everything's cool. I'm just a bit touchy today. Besides, I think it's time for you to get going anyways."

"Oh, really? Well, bye-"

"Oh, I guess it's my turn!" a certain green jacketed lad butts in. "I'm Nagito Komaeda. It's an honor to meet you."

"Ah, yeah. My name's y/n l/n, and the feeling is mutual."

We then remain in awkward silence for a solid ten seconds.

Crap, how do I interact normally with him? I'm too tired for this bull. Should I just go with the typical skill route? Yeah, I guess that'll work.

"So, uh, what's your talent?" I ask, twiddling my thumbs.

A downcast expression crosses Nagito's face. "It's nothing special. I was accepted into this school via a lottery, and was therefore given the title of Ultimate Lucky Student. It's a stupid skill, I know."

"I mean, I don't mind. Just because you're not incredibly skilled doesn't mean that you're worth less than I. You were given the chance at a bright future at Hope's Peak, and that must mean something," I say, patting his back. "Cheer up, my dude."

"You really mustn't take precious time out of your day to uplift someone as pathetic as myself. You, as one of the world's greatest prodigies, are far too high above me for that."

"Oh, hush. There's no need to self deprecate. I don't care about a silly title. You're my classmate, and that's all that matters. Now, let's redo that greeting. I'll start." Taking a deep breath, I begin. "Hello. My name is y/n l/n. What's yours?" I point at Nagito, prompting him to continue where I left off. "Now it's your turn."

He backs away a bit, rubbing his neck. "Um, are you sure that this is necessary?"

"Do it, dude! I know you can."

That seems to make him comply. Hesitantly, he states "I am Nagito Komaeda. It's nice to meet you too."

"Yes!" I cheer. "Just like that. Now I want you to tell me about your talent. This time, however, no insults are allowed."

He sighs. "I was admitted into this school via a lottery, so they automatically gave me the title of Ultimate Lucky Student. I don't have any real talent, though."

I furrow my eyebrows. "There was a bit of defeatism in there, but that's okay for now."

What am I, a counselor? A cheerleader?

"Anyways, I have to thank you for suggesting the idea of forming a line. I don't think I could have taken on so many chaotic people at once!" I say, rubbing the back of my neck. "That was a wonderful idea."

"Oh, really?" Nagito says, seemingly surprised that I'm expressing any form of gratitude toward him. "It wasn't much. Anyone could have thought of that."

"Yeah, but you were the only one who vocalized that idea. Give yourself credit where credit is due."

He looks at me with an absolutely awestruck expression, gripping his arms tightly. "Ahaha! You're truly worthy of your title. To think that an Ultimate would treat me with such kindness-" he pauses. "It's-it's such an honour!"

"Thank you?" I say, grimacing awkwardly.

That feels more like a question than a statement.

A familiar bearded man comes enthusiastically marching up to me. "I AM NEKOMARU NIDAI, THE ULTIMATE TEAM MANAGER!"

"Sorry Nagito, but I have to cut this convo short. I'll see you soon, though!" I say, hurriedly shooing him away.

"Hi," I say to the new guest, my voice cracking. Not even a minute into this conversation, and I'm already feeling intimidated. "I'm y/n—"

"NO. Try that again, with more POWER this time!" Nekomaru booms out. He crosses his arms, looking at me intensely.

I take in a deep breath, filling up my lungs until they feel as if they're going to burst. Clenching my fists, I bellow "I AM Y/N L/N, THE ULTIMATE DARLING. IT IS VERY NICE TO MEET YOU."

He laughs heartily, patting my back so hard I nearly fall down. "That was much better!"

I place my hands on my knees, coughing and gasping for air. "Thanks." Thankfully, Nekomaru stops long enough for me to catch my breath. "You really are enthusiastic," I wheeze. "Where do you even get this endless energy?"

"IT'S MY JOB AS A MANAGER TO KEEP UP MORALE. I NEED TO KEEP SPIRITS HIGH SO THAT THEY CAN REACH THEIR FULL POTENTIAL!" He laughs.

A holy wide grin spreads across my face. "Thanks, dude. I'm happy to know that you care—" My sentence is cut short by another fit of rasping. Nekomaru begins to pat over my biceps, staring intently as he does.

"Your body is pretty weak. We'll need to fix that. I mean, I don't feel ANY muscle under that skin of yours! You're shrimpy as hell."

First Akane, and now Nekomaru? Fuck. It's not my fault that I stay inside playing video games and reading fanfic all day.

"WE'RE GONNA START FIXING YOU UP RIGHT AWAY," Nekomaru suddenly shouts, making me jump. "I SWEAR AS YOUR TRAINER THAT I AM GOING TO UP YOUR STRENGTH!" A tough arm wraps round my shoulder, causing me to stumble.

"Ah- thank you Nekomaru," I state, a bit stunned.

He waves a hand in dismissal, chuckling heartily. "Call me COACH."

I remain silent for a few moments, before bursting out into a fit of laughter.

Just a few minutes ago I was essentially coaching Komaeda, and now I, myself, am being coached! How odd.

"Anything wrong?"

"No. I'm fine. Thank you coach."

And then I am done.