.•nine•.

the young president couldn't work out for the life of him what was going on inside his own head

the young president couldn't work out for the life of him what was going on inside his own head. lately it felt as though he'd been swamped with insecurities and uncertainties, and there was usually only one thing he could do to take his mind off it. funnily enough, ten was quite interested in theatre, though not so much so that he'd act and perform...he just enjoyed watching from afar.

so, he found himself in the auditorium on this fine sunny afternoon watching a lone student practice. the show wasn't exactly famous, though families and critics from all over the country came to watch the jang academy's up and coming drama kids perform. they were incredible, and at least three of the third years who graduated each year became famous.

"ugh, i think i'll puke with how cringy this character is," the best actor the school currently possessed gagged, "like c'mon man, hiding your feelings in case they aren't reciprocated? what?"

"hyuck, not everyone can be a confident player like you," ten snickered from the front row of the empty audience. "besides, i think the role is quite cute. usually they portray the female leads as too bold and brassy or too meek and quiet...yet your male lead is on-par with your counterpart. you're equals in this, and it goes to show we're evolving here."

"but he's fucking his life up," the younger whined. "and i'm not a player anymore, but i'm not this mellow either."

"why did you give that lifestyle up, by the way?" the ravenette leaned forward against the edge of the stage and pressed his cheeks into his palms. "rumour has it you got a boyfriend, you softie."

"the rumour isn't wrong," he smirked. "in fact, if i recall correctly...you almost caught us a couple of weeks ago. in the halls."

"oh?"

"your first night on the tutoring job. actually, speaking of which," he giggled mischievously and sat down on the edge to drop his legs over the side and talk to the older properly, "rumour has it you and johnny are getting closer."

"closer how?"

"you know what we mean," the blonde winked annoyingly. "you're such a tightass, and it's the most interesting piece of news these days that our president may have a special someone. is it true?"

"look into my eyes, hyuck," the shorter arched his brow, not being capable of psyching the chilled out boy, but he did get his attention. "do i look like someone who has time for a boyfriend? moreover, do i look like a man who could cope with johnny's stupidity?"

the taller shrugged as though the answer wasn't clear, but did in many ways agree. ten didn't look like a guy with much patience for frivolous relationships...but everyone had some amount of love to give and share, even if only minuscule. the defensive attitude the older had adopted towards this topic led the actor to believe there were emotions festering deep within him, he was merely ignoring or overwriting them with pitiful excuses.

"would you ever get married?" donghyuck then enquired, fiddling with the corners of his script absentmindedly. "or do you want to remain alone for life?"

"obviously i want to marry and settle down eventually. but i have to establish a proper life for myself first."

"call me immature, but being a teenager is such a short, finite period of time, pres," he hummed. "making mistakes like 'the wrong guy or girl' and kissing weirdos or sleeping around...isn't it all best figured out young? i've found my special someone, and they aren't exactly the best match for me at this point in time...but i really love them. this character i'm playing," the boy scoffed and raised his pages, "is so weak and stupid. he needs to get laid, i tell you."

"weirdo," ten snickered, but he did understand what was being said. he was being made aware of the time limit he had — that everyone had. this pretty face of his would disappear faster than anything else he had...and finding 'the one' when he's forty would be much harder than when he was eighteen.

"this 'weirdo' loves waking up in the mornings knowing he has someone who wants to see him. can you say the same?"

ouch, he has a point. "fine fine, i get it. also, this person who isn't a great match for you now...why?"

"long story i don't want to tell. you of all people would give me a look."

"i wouldn't!"

"psh, you say that now...but..." donghyuck sighed dramatically and flopped back to rest on the stage in a laying position. "it really doesn't matter, anyway. life is life, and it's a bitch. the whole point is how much of a bitch you allow it to be, y'know?"

"wow, what is a dumb second year like you spouting wise crap like this for? you're literally seven."

"seven years young, bro."

he's missed the point, the older smiled faintly, backing up from the edge of the stage and placing his hands on his hips as he planned his next course of action. he had trailed in here to clear his mind and watch someone pretend to be something they weren't so that life felt more meaningful...yet now he felt even worse than before.

was it 'worse' though, or simply more informed? perhaps this adventure hadn't been so bad after all.