Chapter Seventy-six

Start from the beginning

I'm just hoping the weeks fly by and we leave this place in peace. We are only left with less than two weeks of classes and then the finals. Then it'll all be over.

"I miss Ellie already," Jess says, taking a bite out of her sandwich. "We should have her over again soon."

I look at her with my brows raised.

"I love Ellie. God knows I do. But I can't babysit three kids for a whole weekend again. Not anytime soon, at least."

She laughs.

"Oh, come on! It was fun."

"For you." I nod in agreement.

"Not ready for kids anytime soon then, eh?" She arches a brow with a mischievous grin.

"Why? What did you have in mind?"

She shrugs.

"Oh, nothing. Just going over potential sperm donors in my mind. I'm sure there is a guy or two."

I feel a hot leash across my chest, and my appetite instantly vanishes.

"Jess!"

She glances at me and squirms.

"That was a joke, Liam. Obviously."

"Don't joke about other guys. You know I don't like it."

She nods.

"I know. Sorry. Won't happen again." 

I catch the hint of scorn in her voice. I glance at her and frown. What I want to do is reach over and kiss her. Or pull her into my arms and feel her warmth. And it pains me that I can't do that because I don't think she wants me to.

Jessica

Liam looks at me silently as I converse with my friends, and I feel that familiar ache in my chest. I can feel his yearning just from the way he is looking at me. I wish I could go back to New York. The way things were back then. How easy everything felt. 

"Think fast!" Steff says and throws a piece of chocolate that Jeremy easily catches in his mouth.

"Whoa!" Jayden says, impressed. "How'd you do that?"

"They have been doing this since they were kids," I say.

"It's still impressive. The way you're able to make it look so easy. I can already tell this is going to be a hit, you two. I guess that's why they say date your best friend." Red says.

"I guess it's a good thing you are dating me then," Jayden says to her.

Steff blushes crimson, which makes me laugh. She likes to think they are still figuring things out, but it's clear to everyone else they are already together. Their dynamic has completely shifted, and it was strange at first. But then we got used to it.

"I wouldn't say we were best friends." She says, earning a side tickle from Jayden.

"What are your summer plans?" Steff asks, changing the topic.

"Ugh, you know, just cruising in Saint Tropez or something of the sort," Red says, flicking her hair back.

"Sign me up," Jeremy says.

I chuckle.

"Actually, Jayden and I are thinking about going on a road trip before he moves to Bosten. You know, see places, enjoy the summer."

"Bosten is not too far from New York. You guys can take a long weekend and see each other." Steff says.

"It still won't be the same." Red sighs.