A Sunday kind of Love

Sunday. November 8th, 2020.

Castiel woke bleary eyed, but surprisingly refreshed at nearly 9am. He heard a ruckus from downstairs and began to make his way down to see what the children were up to. At the top of the stairs, he caught the smell of bacon and coffee.

"Aw, Dad!" Jack said in disappointment, "we were almost finished and were going to bring you breakfast in bed."

"Yeah, I just popped the toast down when the coffee was done." Claire stomped her foot. "You always ruin our delivery of breakfast in bed for you because you don't stay in bed long enough!"

"I'm sorry. I know, this does happen every time. I think my stomach smells the cooking before I'm awake and makes me get up." Castiel came around the island, gave them each a kiss on the forehead and proceeded to fix his coffee.

"And to what do I owe this honor this morning?" Castiel inquired suspiciously.

"Abject hunger, Dad. We're just starving. I was just going to make eggs and toast with some fruit, but Hoover over here wanted bacon and grits on the side and biscuits." Claire rolled her eyes. "At least grits are better than mushy oatmeal."

"Hey, I'm a growing boy! I need sustenance in vast quantities." Jack was just finishing grating cheese in a bowl.

"This is enough for breakfast for two days." Castiel began scooping eggs on his plate.

"Who eats biscuits and toast?" Claire looked disgusted.

"I think I can finish it before lunch, Dad." Jack said ignoring Claire. His plate was a mound of eggs, grits, biscuits, bacon, grapes, a orange and two slices of toast.

"We're going to go to see the pond after we eat. Are you coming, Dad?" Claire asked between popping grapes into her mouth.

"Yes, I'll tag along. I haven't really had a chance to look around this place much yet."

"When can we get our fishing gear from Uncle Gabe's?"

Castiel started to answer, but stared open mouthed at Jack's almost empty plate.

"We just sat down to eat. How are you almost finished?"

Jack just smiled and patted his belly as he bit into his second biscuit.

"After breakfast I'll have to call Gabriel to see if he's home, then I can pop over."

They finished eating, cleaned the kitchen and got dressed for the day.

"I'm going to call your uncle now and take a walk to the mailbox to see if we've gotten anything."

"Me and Claire are just going to run to the pond to see it real quick," Jack exclaimed hopping as he shoved his foot in his shoe.

"I'll meet you there. You should be careful though. And watch for snakes!" Castiel called as they ran in the opposite direction.

As he walked down the driveway towards the front gate, Castiel had just pulled out his phone to call Gabriel when it began to ring.

"Good morning, Gabriel. I was just about to call you."

"Heeyy, Bro! How's tricks? I didn't get to get any scoop from you last night, so I figured I'd try this morning." Gabriel was always in a cheerful mood.

"Gabriel, I prefer not to start out my morning thinking about hypotheticals."

"Just throw me a morsel here. I just want to make sure you're happy."