Lion's mane

Gabriel was happy. The Sweet Spot hadn't even officially opened yet and he had been busy each day. He was quite enthused at how busy they'd been this morning though. He knew from experience that he could make this business successful, but he was unsure how successful it might be in such a small town. He'd much preferred to sink his money into this business in a larger, more diverse city. Yet, everyday this town surprised him. Most of the citizens he'd encountered were much more progressive than he would've thought for an old, seemingly traditional, midwest small town.

Ever since Meg had died, he'd vowed to be there for Castiel and the twins. The first six months Gabriel lived with them, and Balthazar and Anna were there every day. Nevertheless, it was Gabriel who became akin to the twins' surrogate second parent. After Castiel's dressing down and demotion, Gabriel knew that though they would be leaving the city, they'd not be leaving alone. So, he decided to open his business here, in this remote small town, rather than the city where he was sure it'd be a real success. He wasn't going to let his little brother, with the twins, embark on this exile on his own.

Gabriel had already had plans to open the Sweet Spot. He'd bought much of the equipment, drawn up a list menu of items, tested out 90% of his recipes, and had drawn up his logo. He had even picked out two locations he was trying to decide on when Castiel told him the news of his imminent exile. He decided then and there to move his business to whatever place his brother was to move.

Castiel was given two months to await his replacement, get packed, and move. Gabriel was ready to make his move now. He hired the local realtor, packed up his apartment, shipped his equipment to the town and had moved in in less than three weeks. The town had lost a few hundred in population over the past decade and a half, but recently had been going through a population uptick. This news made Gabriel feel a bit more confident in his shop's ability for success. He worked tirelessly with a local carpenter, and the fresh-faced young man, Samandriel, who happened by one day and started a conversation. Gabriel hired him that evening after the boy had stayed most of the day and helped him and the carpenter out without a thought for payment.

He made finding Castiel and the twins a nice homey place his top priority after finding himself a location for his shop, with an attached apartment. He really was not satisfied with any of the older established homes as the majority of them were in sore need of renovations and updating them into the 21st century, just as he was doing with his over-store apartment. They had pretty much run out of local options and the realtor, Robin, was to start showing him places in Strong City, the sister town eight minutes north of Cottonwood Falls.

One day Robin sent pictures of a former event space that she said the owner had contacted her about putting on the rental market. It was to go through modest renovations to accommodate a family and would be ready in a month and a half. He went to see it the next day. Gabriel saw the rooftop, then the second floor, and then the first floor and the stars came into view as he came up over the small rise. Immediately knew this would be the place. There was just a feeling. He knew this was the place his brother belonged, even before he saw the inside. He got in touch with Castiel that night to set the wheels in motion.

Smiling, Gabriel surveyed his establishment as his eyes roamed over the customers. "Let's hope this lasts." He said to himself as he stuff some bills into the register.

He handed the customer their change and passed their box of Berry Legal Filled Donut Holes to them.

"Enjoy!" He beamed.

The bell at the door jangled again and he glanced over at Samandriel to see if the next customer was a local or not. He and Samandriel had a running bet on if they were going to have more tourists or locals this morning. Samandriel shook his head.

"Local," he laughed.

Gabriel turned to see if he could spy the local over the heads of the customers in front of the pastry counter. He had no trouble seeing this particular local. Gabriel stopped putting Apple Bend-overs into the box he'd been filling, to watch the giant of a man walk tentatively into the shop. He licked his lips as he watched the tall, chestnut-haired Adonis look around the store. The lush mane was rippling with golden caramel highlights as the overhead spotlights hit from different angles. Gabriel tiptoed as he tried to see around the customers. The bell over the door jangled as the previous customer exited.

Gabriel remembered what he was supposed to be doing and continued filling the box with the Bend-overs. He really had to find out who tall, tousled, and handsome was.

But he wasn't even sure he was handsome yet. He hadn't seen his face, or the rest of him. For all he knew, he could have black teeth and a pot belly. He was in a confectionery after all. Gabriel laughed at himself insulting himself. He turned to the back wall to fold up another box for an order of Cream Filled Topped Donut Holes.

Between customers now, Gabriel searched for the tall local. He found him in front of Samandriel's freezer case. This time, though he could only see his profile, he could definitely see that he was as handsome as the promise of that luxurious hair led him to believe. He had a hard time seeing the entire face, but he was sure it was going to be something to see.

"Welcome to Gabriel's Sweet Spot," he said to his next customer, "I'm Gabriel. What can I do for you?"

Gabriel turned to prep a small box for Boobies and Bunz cookies. He went over, slid open the cookie case door, bent to the case, and looked between the Daddy Bear Claws and Bend-overs towards the cookies he needed. He noticed a customer peering through the case right at him. It took him a second to realize the hazel eyes belonged to the lion-maned giant. He couldn't bring himself to move and just stared back. The man's eyes were a blue green color with flecks of deep brown and amber, practically glowing in the light from the case. Suddenly, he turned his head and went back to the ice cream counter.

Gabriel calmed his racing heart, quickly grabbed the cookies ordered, and turned back to fold another small cookie box. He heard the doorbell jangle and knew, somewhat sadly, that Lion's Mane had left the shop. Gabriel smiled, remembering that he was a local. There would be plenty of opportunities to run into him later.