Meet the new Doctor

Castiel had busied himself unpacking after he had set up his wifi. He happily saw there was already a nice big screen smart tv placed prominently on the main wall of the sizable Barnhouse's living room. He unpacked and set up his computer, small stereo and hooked up his DVR/DVD player. Then he started his favorite relaxing playlist and began unpacking his kitchen items and putting away his groceries and pantry staples.

His stomach growled. He hadn't eaten since very early this morning when he got up to begin the long drive to this...this nowheresville of a town. Even while "in town" at the clinic, he hardly saw too much of a town. Granted his mind was preoccupied with a mental list of things he needed to get done before he picked up Claire and Jack from his brother Gabriel's house tomorrow evening.

He hadn't planned on staying at the hospital...uh, clinic, as long as he had and his ice cream had half-melted. He was glad he'd purchased the good-sized ice chest and filled it with ice to keep his groceries chilled on the long drive here. He had thought he'd better pick up extra groceries before leaving civilization since he wasn't sure of the variety of items at the local grocer nor how well stocked they may be.

He quickly chopped some onions, bell peppers, and a small bit of celery, broccoli florets and shallots. He really wanted a quick shrimp sauté, but with the late hour and so much to do, he had neither the time nor the inclination to clean and peel the fresh shrimp he'd purchased. He peeled and diced a few new potatoes and drizzled olive oil in the pan. He tossed in the onions, bell peppers and celery and let them sizzle while he cut a chicken breast into thin strips. He thought he heard a noise.

He washed his hands and decided to pour himself a glass of wine, stirring his vegetables and adding in cayenne, paprika, fresh thyme and a few other choice spices. He rarely spiced his food up this much anymore, because most of the meals he made had to be kid friendly, and spicy and children don't mix well.

Checking to see the onions were almost translucent, he tossed in a bit of curry powder and the potatoes. There it was again. He grabbed his phone and lowered the volume. Yes, there was definitely something scratching at his door. He looked around. He had no weapon. Did they have cougars or bear out here? He quickly pulled his pan off the fire and grabbed the fireplace poker. He peeked out the peephole, but didn't see anything. He heard the noise by the kitchen side door. He crept over and leaned to look out the window. Nothing. Now it was back at the front door again. And at this point Castiel put the poker down, because he was positive it was no bear or mountain lion. It was definitely the sound of a dog that was sad or scared. He opened his door to see there was a dog. A very cute, medium-size, very fluffy dog. It had backed up a bit from the door and stood warily examining Castiel. He could see that there was no collar.

"Hey, Boy." Castiel knelt and softened his voice. Obviously, this dog was abandoned and frightened. It had been lightly raining for the past hour and Castiel noted the completely muddy state of the poor, wet animal. He presented the back of his hand to sniff and gently coaxed and cooed until the dog decided he was friend and not foe. Finally, Castiel was able to get the dog inside and was immediately rewarded with a big, wet kiss and muddy paws all over him. He laughed and decided he'd quickly give the dog a bath, because who knew if this dog was the type to jump on furniture. His dinner would have to wait.

Castiel grabbed the Dawn dish liquid, and called the dog to the bathroom. Surprisingly, the little fellow jumped right into the tub as soon as Castiel bent to turn on the water.

"Well, what a good..." Cas leaned over to examine the underside of the dog. "Girl! What a good girl! You like baths?"

Well, apparently whoever had owned the dog before raised a well-mannered and happy animal. Castiel was able to make quick work of the bath, quickly pulling the shower curtain closed when the dog began to shake the water off in the end.