Small Town

Castiel pulled the car into an angled parking spot in front of the post office, a mid-century modern building of slender tan native limestone bricks and teal glass tile accents. He was surprised that there was no parking closer to the Chase County Historical Society Museum. For such a small town, it certainly had a bustling "downtown" area. He had plans to register for both a personal P.O. Box and one under his physician's credentials, as well as pick up a few shipping boxes to mail some local items back home to Anna and Balthazar as gifts. It would've been nice if the post office was still open. However, he'd spent more time at his patient's house than he'd planned, and just missed operating hours. He figured he'd just register online and pick up the shipping boxes another day.

Claire and Jack had already headed down the sidewalk towards the museum a block away on the opposite corner across the street. Castiel walked briskly to catch up.

"Dad, I want to stop by this store after the museum," Claire said as she took a quick peek in the windows of the Prairie Pleasures Arts & Crafts and Antiques Store. "They have jewelry and hats and scarves. Maybe not everything is so provincial in this town."

"OK, Belle," Jack teased. "If you're not careful you're going to run into a Gaston, if you keep acting like that!"

"Ew! This place is probably full of Gastons! I'd rather run into another like-minded Belle."

"What? You think even a Beast from this town lives a too provincial life?" Jack's face looked crestfallen.

"I don't know, but we are in the middle of Bumfuck Egypt."

"Claire! Language!" Castiel reprimanded. "Swear jar will be awaiting a feeding when we get home. I don't want to hear that you don't have enough to buy something today because of it either." He gave her a stern look and waved to usher them across the street.

"Besides, I've told you both not to go around disparaging the town we have to live in for the foreseeable future. People are not going to take kindly to you if you insult where they live, or whether or not you find this place a backwater dump." Castiel was a bit agitated. "Either way, I've told you before, I have to care for the people of this town, so eventually, I'll likely meet at least 90% of them. I don't need any of them coming to me with a grudge because they think my daughter has a superior attitude and a chip on her shoulder. Do you understand, Claire? Jack?"

"Yes, sir!" Jack said with a slight giggle as he turned and stepped up on the curb. "Your mouth always gets you in trouble." He elbowed Claire.

"Dad!" Claire exclaimed loudly.

"Claire, I don't want to hear any more! I'm done with your attitude."

"No, Dad, your nose is bleeding!"

"What? Oh, this is the second time..." Castiel tilted his head back and put his fingers to his nose. "I don't even have a tissue." He could feel the blood drop sliding down his upper lip and heading towards his cheek.

Jack and Claire stood by watching their father trying to stop the bleeding. "Why don't you carry a purse with tissues? Most girls have purses full of all sorts of handy things!"

"God, Jack! I don't want to carry a purse! Why don't you carry a purse? You're the one always dragging around bags! Laptop, notebooks, water, pencils and novels."

"Do you two really have to do this while I stand here with my head in the air? Could one of you find me a tissue or nap..."

"Napkin, Doc?"