Fall from Grace

source: imgur.com

Thursday. November 5th, 2020.

Castiel Novak hated his Boss. He hated her a lot. Naomi was an awful person and she liked to see him suffer. So now, she was sending him to some backwoods hillbilly town in the middle of bum fuck Kansas because she thought it would "help" him and that he needed a "vacation." Also, the town needed a new doctor. Castiel rolled his eyes. Why did she have to send him here? He hated small towns. He was used to being in the city. He was going to hate this. Nothing and No one could ever make this "vacation." worth it. He couldn't wait to leave.

---
Dean Winchester was working his ass off in the sweltering heat with the sun on his back. He had only a few hours to do this before he would have to meet up with the new doctor and show him around. He didn't know why he had to be the one to do it. From what he heard, the guy was a dick but he had a job to do. He had to fix up the old house for the doctor. He had finished the inside with the help of his friends and now he was fixing up the outside. He was almost done. All he had to do was place one more thing and then the job would be done. He wiped the sweat off of his face and climbed down the ladder. Except that he missed a step and fell over ten feet and hit the ground with a sickening crack. He tried to move his leg but it was definitely broken. His farmhands, Lee Webb and Benny Lafitte, who had been working with him, came running.

"Dean! Are you okay?!" Benny asked as he went to help him.

"No, don't move me. My leg is broken."

Lee looked worried. "Boss, the new Doc isn't here yet."

"We still have to take him in. The nurses will take care of him as much as they can," Benny said.

Dean was beginning to slur his words. "Ring around Rosie, a pocket full of posies. Ashes... ashes... we all fall down."

Benny and Lee shared a look. "Yeah. We need to get him to the clinic now." They lifted him up, set him in the truck and hurried him into town. They rushed him inside as soon as they reached the building.

"Adam! Your brother broke his leg. He fell off the ladder."

Adam looked up and his eyes widened. "Okay, quick, hurry and bring him to X-ray! I'll get everything set up, then give him a sedative and something for pain."

After completing x-rays, they wheeled Dean to a room while Adam carefully looked over the X-rays. It was bad, but not as bad as he first thought. No compound fractures breaking the skin, but both his tibia and fibula had breaks. Thankfully, there were no extraneous bone fragments. Just a hard, clean break on his fibula and what appeared to be a crack fracture of his tibia. If only the new physician was here already. He'd never handled a lower leg break on his own, but he'd assisted. Nervously he gathered the X-rays together with Dean's chart and headed down the hall to the patient rooms.

Adam made his way to Dean's room, passing the combination Admit Desk/Nurses Station on the way. He nodded at the dark haired stranger waiting for the nurse to finish her phone call.

As the nurse hung up and smiled, Adam heard the stranger's gruff voice.

"Hello, uh... I'm Castiel. Castiel Novak. The new physician?"

Adam made a surprised face and turned to grasp the new doctor's hand. "Oh, thank God, you're here. We need your help." He vigorously shook hands with the stunned dark haired man.

Doctor Castiel Novak, blinked. "What? Really? Right now?"

"Yeah, Dean broke his leg falling off of a ladder. It's bad, Doc." Benny came up, interrupting.

"Uh, sorry. I'm Adam Milligan. Dean is my brother. This is his friend Benny Lafitte."

Castiel nodded. "Take me to him."