Eight

Sapnap observed George as the two of them entered L'Manburg's borders. The shorter of the two remained silent after Sapnap's sudden question, but that didn't stop him from trying to ask again. Every time though, George remained silent which only added to the younger's worry.

"George, come on," He prodded and stepped in front of the other's path just as they began walking off of the Prime Path and towards the White House. "It's obvious something happened," George only glowered at the ground below them in response. "Come on, man," He groaned and moved to block the brunette again when George tried to sidestep around him. They awkwardly moved in tandem for a few moments before George sighed heavily and finally looked Sapnap in the eye. "Talk to me, bro,"

George's gaze wavered and he looked off to the side as his left hand moved to rub his arm. Sapnap waited as patiently as he could before he sighed as well and looked to the ground in defeat.

"Look, George," He spoke softly. "I get it, okay? You and Dream were closer out of us three," He chose to ignore the flinch his words caused and plowed forward. "But I'm your friend too. I care about you just as much as he did," He looked up with a deep frown and placed a hand on the other's shoulder. George kept his eyes trained on the ground. "You don't have to tell me anything you aren't comfortable with, but I'm here when you need me," He let his hand fall to his side. "We're all we've got now," Sapnap turned expecting George to follow him but stopped short when he heard his friend mutter something. The raven-haired male turned quickly to face the other man. George's hands were clenched tightly into fists at his sides and his covered eyes now stared at Sapnap again.

"He didn't hurt me," George repeated his mumbled sentence. Sapnap's shoulders sagged as a wave of relief washed over him. George kept his gaze locked with Sapnap's. Sapnap nodded slowly and ran a hand through his hair as he released a shaky breath in response. He hated how he felt this way but after everything that's happened his worries were reasonable in his opinion.

"Okay," He whispered and nodded again. George nodded in response and stepped forward with the other male as they approached the White House where Tubbo exited along with Fundy and Quackity flanking him. They stopped shy of the stone stairs and looked up at the three males. Quackity's eyes flitted between Sapnap and Tubbo before he looked to Fundy and nodded. The hybrid returned the gesture and followed the other down the steps leaving George and Sapnap alone with the teen president. Tubbo watched them leave before turning his attention back to the other men. Sapnap noticed the other held himself rather stiffly and once again wondered just what Tuboo needed to speak to them about.

"Gentlemen," Tubbo greeted as they ascended the stairs and met him at the top.

"So, what's this about?" Sapnap asked with narrowed eyes. Tubbo nodded when he realized they wanted to cut to the chase and get this over with. He didn't blame them, having had this conversation once already he wasn't ready to have it again.

"I'll give it to you straight," The boy started and fiddled with the end of his tie using one hand but kept eye contact. "Something happened to Dream," George stiffened and Sapnap placed a steady hand on his shoulder, ignoring Tubbo's concerned glance and motioned for him to continue. "I went to visit Tommy earlier today and was informed that he had found Dream collapsed in the forest not very far from his campsite with various wounds," Tubbo ran a hand through his hair and let it slide down his face tiredly. Sapnap almost felt bad for the kid because frankly, he looked like shit. From experience, Sapnap could easily spot the telltale signs of a rough night without sleep.

"When Tommy approached him Dream seemed to get nervous and asked who he was," Tubbo continued and Sapnap blinked dumbly as his words settled into his brain.

"What?" George asked quietly. Sapnap would've been the one to speak up but his tongue suddenly felt heavy and his mouth and run dry. Tubbo sighed heavily and gave them a solemn look.