Chapter 29

For the next week, it was constant preparation. Santana, though more prepared then before, was still extremely nervous. Who wouldn't be? At school, things were going as well as they could be going- that is, not very well. Santana was still putting up with people making fun of her trauma, while Quinn was dealing with pissed off Cheerios. In addition to that, they were both still getting homophobic comments getting thrown their way. It was a lot to put up with, but at least they had each other.

Soon enough, it was the day of the trial. Santana woke up at 4:00 am- she couldn't sleep. Sitting up, she walked groggily into the kitchen. Maybe a little snack would help her sleep. Opening the fridge, she heard a voice from behind her. "Hey, watcha doing?" Santana let out a soft scream of surprise before realizing it was just Quinn. "Oh god, sorry." Santana let out a shaky breath and smiled weakly.

"Nah, you're good." She looked through the fridge. "What are you doing up?" Quinn shrugged.

"I could ask you the same thing," Quinn replied. Sighing, she sat down on a nearby chair. "Couldn't sleep." Santana nodded in understanding. "Well, now that we're both up, we might as well do something before we go back to sleep." 

Santana suddenly got a completely random thought. "Hey... we're dating, right?" Quinn nodded. "And... we've never gone on a proper date." Quinn raised her eyebrows at the realization. "Do you wanna... go on a date?"

Quinn laughed. "You want to go out to a fancy restaurant at 4:00 am on a weekday?" Santana shook her head quickly and rolled her eyes. 

"No, obviously. But maybe we can create our own romantic date here in your apartment." She smiled. "It might help us de-stress a bit too." 

Quinn thought for a moment, then shrugged. "Why the heck not," she said. "Okay, so you're in charge of the food, and I'll help create a romantic vibe." Recognizing how ridiculous this was, she couldn't help but be excited as she walked into her little storage closet to try and find something to use.

She came out soon after holding what looked like candles. Santana raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure candles are allowed in this apartment?" Quinn smirked. She pressed a button on the bottom of one of them, and it flickered on.

"Electric," she explained. "They were for a school project a while ago." She placed them around the table, turning them all on. "What did you find for the food?" Santana grinned and showed Quinn what she had pulled out of the fridge. "Pizza rolls? Really San?"

Santana placed her hand on her heart dramatically. "Wow, Q, I'm offended. Personally, I believe pizza rolls are perfect for creating a relaxed and amorous atmosphere." She took out a couple and placed them on a plate. "What's more romantic than artificial cheese and questionably fresh tomato sauce wrapped in fried dough?" Quinn snorted.

"Geez, what's with you talking all fancy? Is Berry rubbing off on you?" Santana laughed as she put the rolls in the microwave.

"No, I think it's just how I act at 4:00 am in the morning." Soon, the rolls were cooked. Santana placed the plate on the table, and pulled out a chair. "Please sit, mademoiselle." Quinn rolled her eyes, but smiled and sat down. Santana pulled out her own chair across the table and settled down. "Well, I don't know about you, but I think this is the perfect date." 

Quinn smiled warmly. "Yeah, I agree." Taking a bite of one of the pizza rolls, she wrinkled her nose. "Yum, tastes like burnt cheese." Despite this, she took another bite. Santana started eating the other roll, and took Quinn's hand from across the table.

"You look beautiful," Santana said softly. She was only half joking- even though Quinn had bedhead and was in her pajamas, she still had those same hazel eyes and that same enrapturing smile.