Chapter 23

Santana took a few deep breaths, then stood up straight, mostly recovered. She saw that Quinn's hazel eyes were full of concern, and tried her best to look brave. "I'm- I'm fine," she muttered. Quinn didn't look convinced, but took Santana's hand and continued walking. The two reached Santana's locker without much trouble, and Santana started to hope that the universe had decided to go easy on her for once. No such luck.

Azimio Adams sauntered up to her with a smug look on his face. "Hey Lesbo," he said. She rolled her eyes and ignored him. Quinn moved closer to her protectively. "Oh relax, I wouldn't hurt you," he sneered. Somehow, Santana didn't believe that, so she quickly got her textbooks and slammed her locker shut, hurrying away. Azimio stepped in front of her, and just like Jacob, raised his hand. It was clenched in a fist, and for a moment his face was replaced by her dad's. She let out a whimper and covered her face with her hand, and Azimio seemed to find this absolutely hilarious. "Aw, did little Lopez get scared?" He walked away, high-fiving a couple of his friends. Santana tried to look intimidating, but failed. Quinn rushed up to support her.

"Quinn... I don't know if I can do this," Santana whispered softly so that only Quinn could hear. Quinn gave a sad smile and kissed her on the head. "I thought I could, but now I don't know." 

Quinn lifted Santana's chin up a little. "I know angel, I know." She saw Santana smile a bit at the cheesy nickname. "I'll gladly drive you home if you want, or we can try our best to get through the day. It's your choice." Santana thought for a moment, but decided. 

"I'll get through the day," she said, a little more confidence in her voice. Quinn smiled- she had known that Santana would choose to tough it out. Santana knew that she had to at least look brave and confident, even if she wasn't. Straightening her back and hardening her gaze, Santana strode through the center of the hallway, Quinn close behind. 

Santana's apparent lack of fear seemed to cause some people to rethink harassing her. A few people still did, but that was expected. She got through her first few classes, trying to block out the jeers, but every comment, every time someone pretended to hit her in order to get a reaction out of her, it brought her closer and closer to exploding. Then, she did.

It was some random guy- a hockey player. He was in the process of raising his fist, when Santana just couldn't take it anymore. She didn't know if it was Snixx possessing her, or simply her self-control shattering, but she snapped. Santana grabbed him by the collar, slamming him against a locker. She was screaming about something- probably some crap about her being from Lima Heights. She slapped him across the face harshly, and was vaguely aware of Quinn begging her to stop.

"You want to make fun of my dad beating me until I black out every night?" She yelled. "How about we give you a taste of how it feels?" Santana slammed him against the lockers again, and noticed that tears were streaming down her face. After slapping the terrified hockey player again, she was about to punch him when she felt strong hands pulling her away. The sudden and unexpected contact caused her to try and escape. "Let me go!" She demanded. Straining her neck to look around, she saw that it was Mr. Schue who was trying to pull her back. She also saw Quinn standing helplessly to the side, her gaze scared and worried. Seeing this caused seemed to flip a switch in Santana- she let go of the hockey player and allowed her hands to fall limply to her sides. She crumpled in Mr. Schue's arms, and Quinn ran over to help support her.

"I-I'm sorry," Santana choked out. Other students watching the scene play out looked confused and pensive. In the midst of Santana's breakdown, they heard a monotone voice ring out. 

"Santana Lopez, to my office now." 

-----------------

"This is ridiculous!" Quinn was practically yelling at Principal Figgins. "Yeah, she pushed the guy around a bit, but it wasn't unprovoked." Figgins was accusing Santana of physical violence, and was threatening suspension. Santana for her part was uncharacteristically quiet, still burned out from her fit of rage.