Chapter 2

Hope you enjoy this!

Consequently an hour later, a blatant knock at the door told us our indian take-away had finally found it's way to us. Hannah handed me thirty pounds and pushed me towards the door, while she placed plates and cutlery on the table.

A wide-eyed girl, who appeared to be around my age, stood looking ultimately flustered. "I'm ever so sorry it's late. A diversion on Potler's street sent me in complete circles. That'll be twenty-six pounds, forty pence please." I handed her my change, intrigued by her reason for being late.

"A diversion. What happened?"

She shrugged in a clueless gesture. "I have no idea, to be honest. I heard at school that somebody was murdered."

"An awful shame." I nodded in response. "Well, I'm sure we will find out in the local news soon enough, depending on how serious it is." Her head bobbed, looking occupied. She must have a busy evening ahead of her, I realized. "Well, I guess you better go."

"Yes. Enjoy your take-away." She smiled, hurrying down the hall.

We ate our food in minutes, consuming like starved lions. Hannah chatted non-stop about nothing imperticular as I added an appropriate 'yes' and 'hmm' here and there, however I couldn't help but notice her authenticate glances which baffled me. My eyebrows scrunched together unattractively.

Soon after, Hannah turned to me abruptly, shooting me a disapproving glare. "We need to talk." Her voice rang with some foreign note I couldn't detect from Hannah. Disappointment, perhaps.

"What's wrong?" I answered her worrying glances.

Hannah's eyes trailed over the floor, holding a strong sense of what appeared to be nerves. Her fingers twiddled pointlessly between each other as she bit on her bottom lip. Obviously she was full of angst. "I'm starting to think you're always going to be responsible."

I raised an eyebrow questioningly, unsure of where the strange sentence was leading. "What are you talking about? I thought being responsible was a good thing."

She sank further up in her chair, appearing evidently uncomfortable. "It is! I just thought...nothing, forget I brought it up. It was silly of me." Her shoulders gave a light shrug while she stretched toward the coffee table for the television remote. The remote was in an easy distance to reach from where I sat. Feeling a slight guilt, which was easily outweighed by curiosity, I nabbed the remote before Hannah could get her hands around it which would potentially drop the subject altogether; not something I wanted.

"The television is not getting turned on until you inform me of your silly thought."

Hannah shrugged, giving me a blank stare. "I was stupid really. A long story."

I smiled teasingly, trying to ease the tension hanging heavy in the air. "Lucky we have all night."

"The other night, while you were doing your homework in your bedroom, it came apparent to me that you are the most responsible teenager I have ever met. It's eerie to be honest."

"Eerie?"

She sighed, becoming clearly exasperated. "I thought most teenagers were supposed to become rebellious at a point. Do you know what I mean?"

I bobbed my head slowly, slightly confused. "So you think I'm supposed to become a rebel?"

She nodded hugely, a wide smile flowing onto her lips as she clapped her hands, cheering. "Yes, exactly! What I was trying to say was, I was sort of expecting you to rebel sometime soon." She glanced towards me, almost for reassurance. I returned her look with a glare that read, 'you have to be kidding me.' "I only thought you would eventually rebel considering you have been undeniably responsible and independent since your parents died."