Chapter 1

Happy Readings:D! 

Chapter 1

The blender echoed through the apartment, sounding more like a baneful airplane engine than a harmless mixing machine. I almost felt the need to cover my ears but resisted. My strangely superior ears picked up a loud muffered shout from my room mate's bedroom and as I suspected she would, she trudged through wearing the same crimson dress she had on the previous night. Her eye make-up had smeared down her cheeks, resembling thick black paint.

"Could that thing possibly get any louder?" Hannah spoke, her voice rough and\ hoarse. "It's like-" She scrutinized the room, looking for a clock. She gave me an accusing glare when she noticed there was no clock in the small cramped kitchen. "Well, It is very early."

"Oh, Morning Hannah!" I called over the blender, purposefully bright and cheerful. "It's not early. It's nearly noon."

Her eyes widened considerably. "What?! I have classes at half past twelve on a Saturday!" She sprinted back through to her bedroom down the meandering hall. A chuckled escaped my lips when I checked my watch. The time read only half past ten.

After pouring my lumpy strawberry smoothie into a tall glass, I took a seat on the comforter and flicked through the television channels. There's never anything interesting on television on a saturday morning. A minute later, Hannah traipsed through giving me another accusing glare. She had changed into a pair of black leggings and a tight fitting tank top. "Liar. It's only half past ten!"

"Got'cha." I winked. We watched some uninviting television for a short while until Hannah excused herself to ready for college. "You have no idea how lucky you are to still be in high school. I can't remember the last time I was free on a Saturday afternoon." She groaned.

Hannah was twenty-one, and had been going to college for nearly a year. I was considerably younger than her, being only sixteen. "No, you're the lucky one. You have freedom at college. High school sucks. I wish I was your age."

"Rosetta! Do not wish your life away." The volume, and pitch, of her voice startled me. So much so that my hand jolted, sending smoothie sprawling through the air, sloshing across my lap.

"This is your fault!" I gestured with my smoothie covered hand towards my legs. "And what is up with the voice? Calm down." I rolled my eyes but when her expression didn't waver, I knew something was wrong.

"Just don't wish your life away, ok? That is not a good thing to do. I should know." Her eyes bore into mine, more serious than ever but her last statement forced a giggle to escape my lips.

"You should know? Is this more of your psychic Tarot-reading voodoo rubbish?" She cracked a smile then and blushed a swell pink.

"You may not believe in it, but I do!" She called as she walked towards the bathroom, ending the discussion. Hannah's grandmother was a Tarot reader, peeking into the future, apparently. I am not a believer though because it's impossible to read someone's life, a lot like a book.

Some things don't always match up however. Two years ago, a month exactly before my mother was brutally killed, Hannah took me to see her deluded grandmother for a Tarot reading. I was a more than a little reluctant.

My mind traced over the memory like it was only yesterday.

Hannah and I sat in the taxi on our way to Hannah's grandmothers shop. I was fiddling nervously with my thumbs, trying to ease the uncanny feeling of apprehension. "Gran knows that some people chose not to believe her readings and she will respect that if you respect her work, ok?" I nodded. "Oh, also she can sometimes go a little off the hook."