CHAPTER •°• twenty one

Start from the beginning

Lewis laughed under his breath.

"And Maggie tried to back him up." He took a deep breath. "In a very twisted way, but I guess no one would like to lie about having cancer." He added and Dylan nodded, with his typical smirk.

"Hufflepuffs and their loyalty." The Ravenclaw huffed. "You all need therapy. But before, you need to talk to Sirius. Like really talk to him. Don't go out until everything makes sense, do you understand me?" He asked him, at the end his tone sounding as if he was talking to a five year old.

Remus rolled his eyes.

"You don't make sense." He retorted and Dylan laughed under his breath again. Then he took a big bite of his toast and answered freely.

"I will take that if you go and talk to Black." He stated and Remus frowned. That sounded like a very bad deal, but somehow Dylan managed to say that in a way that it sounded appealing.

"You are a manipulative skunk." Insulted him Remus and Lewis laughed a bit louder, before taking another bite of his toast, swallowing and answering.

"At least I don't sleep on a floor to run away from my future boyfriend." He said and Remus poked him. He then turned back to eating. He still wasn't sure about all this talking to Black business.

After all he already tried to talk to him and it turned out to end up on some unreal cancer story, but yet... maybe Sirius had a reason behind that. Maybe it all made sense, somehow. Besides, Remus felt like one more time couldn't hurt.

Maybe Padfoot really was sad because of the whole thing. Maybe Dylan was right and he just needed to press him a little bit.

Remus sighed and took the last bite of his sandwich with cheese. He wasn't totally convinced about that, but he also didn't feel like waiting for the lessons to end.

So he patted Dylan's shoulder, said goodbye and slowly made his way to the Gryffindor's table. At first Black didn't notice him, too focused on laying on the table and mumbling something to Peter.

Only when Remus stopped right in front of him and cleared his throat loudly, Black raised his eyes and once he saw Moony, he froze.

"Remus?" He asked, seemingly shocked and before Lupin got to say anything, he added. "I'm so sorry for telling you that Maggie has cancer, she doesn't..." He paused and seeing Remus's unshocked face, he finished. "...But I guess you already know that." He assumed.

Lupin nodded his head and, looking awkwardly at James and a few other people, proposed with a silent voice.

"Do you mind going with me to the Gryffindor's tower?" He asked and Sirius stood up so fast that he almost fell right back into his own plate filled with some unfinished sauce.

"Yes." He answered once he caught his balance and then corrected himself. "I mean, let's go." He said and Lupin smiled nervously, when Sirius jumped above the table in order not to go awkwardly through the whole length of the table in order to get to him.

He did that a lot with all his girlfriends before and so, no one really seemed to care. Everyone was used to Black acting weird and unless it was something out of the ordinary, no one really noticed it anymore.

The two of them went out of the Great Hall in silence and only when they were about hundred meters away from there, in more or less, empty corridor, Remus started.

"I wanted to..." He swallowed not wanting to use the same straightforward words that Dylan used while talking to him. "I just wanted to ask you if you could tell me the truth." He said finally. "I know it's all so twisted, but... I really want to believe you." Said Lupin and then paused.

He didn't know what else to say, but he also didn't think anything else needed to be said. Sirius already looked like he was halfly heartbroken and really terrified and Moony didn't want to either promise him anything or discourage him even more.

"Well..." Black started slowly. "As I told you yesterday." He swallowed and paused for a moment, but Remus only waited patiently, so he continued. "I'm gay. And at first me and Maggie weren't fake. Just like any of my other girlfriends." He took a deep breath. "I'm not saying what I did was good and I'm not saying that others should do that as well, but I knew that I was gay when I started to be with my first girlfriend, I just... I didn't want to be left behind and somehow, I thought that if I just was with enough girls, you guys will be more impressed by me, and will respect me more." He sighed. "I thought I would be more cool." He admitted. "And I got used to it, after a while." He shrugged and looked down. "But when I was with Maggie something suddenly snapped and I told her that I was gay. At first we broke up in peace. She is one of the best friends I've got and we are still friends, that's why she was with me yesterday and that's why she was at the bar and was helping me with the clothes. But, anyway, then I got scared. I got scared that if I continued to date other girls, one of them would expect a deeper connection or if I stopped to date girls everyone would know...." He didn't finish, but after a few seconds, he continued. "I asked Maggie to still pretend to be with me... because I also just can't afford my parents to know. And if everyone at Hogwarts would know, Regulus would know as well and therefore..." He sighed. "Well yeah. I just didn't want people to know, but I also liked you for a while and I just didn't know what to do and I thought that if I told you, you would think I'm a coward." He finished finally and then added, almost with a whisper. "And I'm not a coward. Gryffindors shouldn't be cowards."

Remus just looked at his own feet for a while after that, as they walked down the corridors. He didn't know how to respond. He would never have thought that Sirius was a coward, he would actually be so much happier if he knew all that since the beginning.

He didn't want everyone to know about the two of them. He was never the type to try and grab the spotlight, he never wished for all the things Sirius and Maggie did. All the spectacles, all of that.

He just wanted to be with Sirius and be happy and just... be. Nothing more. He just wanted someone to understand him, no matter if he had to hide who he was. He was used to that, after all he was a werewolf, he was hiding who he was on a daily basis.

As long as the closest to him people would know who he was and accepted that, he was going to be satisfied.

"I understand." He spoke finally and looked at Sirius, only then noticing that the other Gryffindor was also looking at him. "I wish that you said something sooner and that we could avoid all that drama-" He snorted under his breath. "-but I know that it's hard and... if you want to start from the beginning I am willing to do that as well." He finished finally and he was convinced that Sirius had to use all his will not to jump at him to hug him.

"I would love to." He said enthusiastically. "I never thought you would like to... but... I'd love to." He said and Remus smiled at that, feeling the most relieved in his whole life.

"So..." Lupin started a suggestion slowly. "How about we sneak to Hogsmeade on Friday evening?" He asked and Sirius smiled even wider, if it was even possible.

"Great." He said. "It's a date then."

°•○•°

Dylan's is a sassy, smart queen as always. And Remus and Sirius at last came to some sort of agreement.

I can't wait to write about their date - finally - I hope you guys are just as excited for it as I am.