Whispers In The Dark

I watch as Violet straps little man into the car seat, the one I forgot to give back to my brother. Oops. Violet slips in the passengers seat and buckles in.

"Can we also go pick up a new phone?" She asks as I back out of the driveway.

"Sure thing. You work at Align right?"

"I- yeah. How did you know? I never told you where I got hired on at." She says with a questioning look.

"Hayden told me." I admit truthfully.

The rest of the ride to her work is quiet with the occasional babble from little man in the backseat.

"Stay in the car, I'll be back in a few. I have to talk to my boss and grab a laptop as well as my keys." She says to me as she checks on little man.

"I'll be right here." I say tapping my fingers on the steering wheel. I sit and ponder the last week I've spent with Violet. It's nice that she feels comfortable enough to open up to me a little bit. I can't help but get distracted by her lips every time she speaks. I've been alone since she left, but that spark never fully died. Fuck when her hand touched my thigh, I know it was seemingly insignificant, but I just wanted to pull her into my lap and kiss her like she fucking deserves.

My thoughts are interrupted by the passenger side door opening. True to her word she came back, she places her belongings in the floorboard.

"Thanks for waiting, my apartment is pretty close if you wanna follow me." She says slipping a pair of sunglasses on her face.

"Sure."

"Oh and Billie..."

"Hmm..." I hum out.

"What's the difference between you and my sunglasses?" She asks with a smirk on her face.

"I literally have no clue." I say dumbfounded.

"My sunglasses sit a little higher on my face." She says peering over her sunglasses before closing the door and walking towards her car.

"I-..."

What the fuck. Did she just- she fucking did. That was blatant over the top flirting, which isn't like Violet at all. Not that I'm complaining, I like it when my girl flirts and tells me what she wants.

Except.

She's not my girl anymore.

I shift my car into drive and follow Violet to the sketchy part of town. A little sus but okay. I park directly behind her on the street and watch as a man comes out of the apartment building and shakes her hand, nodding occasionally as she speaks. She hands her allocated keys back and gives him a small wave before climbing back into her car. I quickly check on little man in the back seat and see that he's fast asleep. He's so precious.

~~~~

"Care to explain what you meant by the sunglasses thing?" I press her hoping she tells me.

"Hmm, nope. You're smart, I'm sure you can figure it out." She says carrying Kai into the kitchen and prepping a bottle for him with one hand.

Okay flex mamas.

I let out a frustrated groan and plop down on the couch and just watch her smiling, talking quietly to her son as she sways back and forth feeding him. It's a sweet intimate moment and I feel privileged I get to witness it.

A few moments later she goes to her room and comes back in sweats and a baggy tea. "Ya know, I've always heard moms complain about the lack of sleep when they have a baby. But my kid sleeps a lot, granted yes I have to get up every couple of hours during the night to feed or change him, but aside from that he's wonderful." She says as she sits down next to me.

"He's pretty cute. So are you." I state, feeling bold. Honestly my heart is beating out of my chest.

I see her cheeks flush red as she looks down at her hands. "Thank you Billie."

"You're welcome angel." I say smiling at her.

"You're staring again." She says this time looking me in the eyes.

"Am I not allowed to stare?" I challenge her.

"You are... what's going through your head?" She asks. I can see the rise and fall of her chest and she seems nervous.

"Honestly, I really want to kiss you." I admit.

"Then kiss me."

I scoot closer to her and hook my hand behind her thigh and pulling her onto my lap so she's straddling me. One of her hands braces itself against the back of the couch.

She seems hesitant. "Can I touch your face?" I ask not wanting to cross a boundary.

"Yes."

I gently cup her face in my hands and lean in slightly, my lips dangerously close to hers. I can hear the hitch in her breath when my nose brushes against hers. I close the space between us and kiss her slowly, savoring the feeling my tongue swirling with hers. Her free hand tangles itself in my hair tugging hard, eliciting a low groan to escape my lips.

Then she stops. "Shit I'm sorry, did I hurt you?"

I chuckle a bit. "Not at all angel." I say as I run my hands up her thighs, gripping her ass and pulling her into me as I kiss her again.

She kisses me back with fervor, and then breaks it, resting her forehead against mine.

With her eyes closed, she mutters against my lips. "Is it weird to say that I've missed the way you kiss me?"

"No, I've missed kissing you." I admit. "What's on your mind angel?"

She snort laughs a little. "You have got to stop calling me angel, I'm far from it. I just-... I'm not saying I want to be with you or get back together... I just know that I miss you and I feel safe around you. Promise me, we'll take things slow." She whispers out.

"I promise babygirl."

...