Chapter 17. 21 January 1900

Chapter 17

21 January 1900

I awoke as normal at the site of the new house. I was so pleased to see the big house was standing. I raced up to the house and was just going through the kitchen door when my younger self came into the kitchen from the other side. There I was, as a ten year old. I realized how much I had grown in 12 months.

The younger version of me said, “Did you go to sleep a bit early?”

I said, “No I had to come back to help you today you made a botch of things, or rather you will. Well, no you won’t because I am here to make sure everything is right.”

“What happened?”

“Well, the worst thing was you didn’t put out the candle and burned the house to the ground. Jackie and her mother didn’t survive. Plus we can do better at the races. But first we have to find some clothes for me.”

We went back into Jackie’s room. She was not there of course because her and Mrs. Andrews were up at the yard getting an early start to the milking because of our big day ahead. We rummaged around trying to find something that would fit. I had grown quite a bit during the year and Jackie’s clothes were just too small.

“Why don’t you go up to the yard and explain what is going on? Actually just tell them I am here to help with the races don’t mention the house fire. You stay and help Jackie with the milking and ask Mrs. Andrews to come and help me.” I said to the young me.

“Ok” he said and ran off to the cow yard. In the meantime I found a towel to wrap around myself.

 When Mrs. Andrews came down I explained that our day at the races had not gone to plan and I was here to make things better. She found some clothes of her late husband, which were too big for me. She took the scissors to the trousers and cut the legs back. Then put a new hole in the belt to hold them up. She cut off the sleeves of a shirt. I looked ridiculous but at least I was covered. “Do you have a gun?” I asked.

“No. I don’t believe in them. They are dangerous. What on earth would you want with a gun?”

“We get held up by bushrangers on the way home from the races. Well, actually I think it was one of the bookies and a couple of his mates.”

“Why would he do that?”

“We sent him broke.” I said. “We will have to be a bit more careful how we do things this time. I think we should split our bets up evenly among all the bookies. We also need something to put the cash in something quite large.”

“Why how much do we win?”

“Just over £20,000.”

“Oh my Lord. Any wonder we got robbed coming home.”