That One Email

"How about checking up on the internet support group?" Phil suggested Dan, who'd been trying to think of a decent video idea for the last couple of hours.

"Why did I not think of that?" Dan said, followed by a face palm. "Thanks Phil!" he called out as he went out of the lounge to start filming his video.

Dan heard Phil chuckle and call out "You're welcome!" Dan thought that Phil's voice sounded oddly nervous but he didn't pay attention to it.

----------o----------

Dan had filmed advice for 4 people, and downed half his bottle of wine, when he came across an email that was anonymous. His fans usually sent in their age, city and name no problem, he asked them to so they obliged. An anonymous email wasn't the norm.

Dan contemplated whether to answer it not, and then decided to read it anyway. It wasn't like the name of the person actually mattered, and he could always edit it out later if it turned out to be a creep or something.

-----/28/London

Hi Dan,

I'm in love with my best friend. I know I shouldn't be and this will probably mess up our friendship but I can't help it, I've been in love with him ever since we met. We live together so we do a lot of stuff together. So a lot is at stake if I do tell him how I feel and he doesn't return my feelings. And another thing is that I don't know if he's into guys or not. I love him so much but it would kill me to lose him as a friend. What should I do?

Dan froze while reading it and subconsciously looked over at Phil's room when he unfroze. He shook his head as if that would knock some sense into him when he realized where he was looking at. He turned back to face the camera.

"Umm... That's a though one but I do think that you should tell him. I'm not saying that you have nothing to lose because clearly that's not true. Does he know that you like guys? If he doesn't know then you might want to start by telling him that. But then again telling him that you love him will also be you coming out to him so while he will get a double shock, it'll probably be easier for you to get it out of the way at once. So... I'm sorry I'm so not helping right now. Tell him whatever you're ready to say whenever you're ready, but tell him. You'll never know what might be if you don't take a chance. And I think that if your friendship is really strong, even if he doesn't like you back you guys will figure it out together. So all in all yes you have a lot you can possibly lose, but you have a lot you can gain as well. I think it's worth taking a shot." Dan finished.

He couldn't believe he'd just given an advice which he hadn't been able to take for the last 6 years. Yes, he was in love with Phil. No, he'd never even thought of telling him. Yes, he'd catch himself staring at Phil a lot. Yes, he felt his cheeks burn whenever Phil complemented him or accidentally said something mildly sexual. No, he wasn't going to do anything about it. He couldn't risk this friendship.

----------o----------

After the video was properly edited and uploaded Dan was sat at his desk, looking through the comments on his new video, when one comment in particular caught his eye:

Doesn't that one email look like it's from Phil? 28 year old guy, living in London with his best friend? If he was just anyone, why would he bother going anonymous? He probably didn't include his name because he didn't want to be any more obvious to Dan. Though they are both oblivious af so even if he did include his name Dan would probably be thinking "Oh there's no way that's Phil. I'm sure there is a bunch of 28 year old Phil's living with their best friends in London." Well, I know it probably isn't from him but doesn't it seem likely? Anyway whether it really is from Phil or not, I'm still fangirling over this.