Ten Months (1)

The letters had been sent out to the packs and everyone was busy getting the pack house prepared for the guests.
Eighteen Alphas had agreed to bring potentials and there was thirty potentials coming from these packs. There was a widow from his own pack as well as Sheila.
Alpha Zane was in his office going through the finances, trying to keep his mind off what was going on.
The thought of having to pick a mate filled him with abhorrence, but knew he had to for the sake of the pack.
Loud chatter pulled the Alpha from his thoughts, looking out the window he saw the pups all gathered around Airini. Opening the window he heard them talking.
"I would love to play with you all, but as you know, we have some visitors coming today." The pups began to whine making Airini laugh. She never got mad at them, never raised her voice. Somehow she always managed them calmly. "Well i suppose if you help me get the rooms ready, then i would have a bit of time to play." She smiled at the complaining pups.
Without thinking of his actions the Alpha jumped through the window and made his way over.
"If i help can i play?" He asked playfully. It had been a long time since he had played with the pups.
Airini was surprised to see the Alpha offering to play, but quickly hid it. "What do you guys think?" She mocked whispered "The Alpha will play with us and we get to see him do boring chores." She made the idea sound appealing. "Better still we can make it a game." All attention was on her. "Girls versus boys, who ever does the most rooms and properly gets to choose what game we play." The Alpha watched as the idea became appealing. A small hand grabbed his larger one. "Come on Alpha hurry. We want to play hid and seek not princesses." A small boy of about six said. The Alpha looked at the boy with short red hair and dark eyes. Smiling he turned towards the house. "Definitely not." He said laughing, the sound foreign to his own ears.
All that could be heard was the screaming, chatter and laughter of the pups as they pulled the two adults towards the pack house.