Chapter Twenty-Seven

Kylie's POV

As I stood at the reception of Cecelia and Henry's wedding holding Kelly, I felt the positive energy all around me.

To my left on the dance floor was the happy couple, to my right was my amazing boyfriend and his friends and standing right in front of me and chattering about how hot and romantic Mac was, was Michelle.

She'd decided to transfer to University of Houston-Downtown. She drove to and from school every day, seeing as she wasn't on time for a dorm on campus. She'd brushed me off when I mentioned it may affect her saying it was only a matter of time before she got her degree and left and that she's much more at ease and happy living with me.

I took one last glance around, asked Michelle to just go to Mac already, and headed over to our table. "Kylie!" Jack called out, coming over to me. "Come with me. I have something for you."

"What's it?" I asked as he took a giggling Kelly with one arm and held the other one out for me to hold.

He simply grinned and didn't answer my question. "Jack..."

"You worry too much Kylie. Just come with me." He commented as we maneuvered our way through the crowd inside the tent.

Once we stepped out, he guided me towards the back of the Sanders mansion where the wedding was being held.

"Stand here and close your eyes." He said, dropping my arm.

"Jack I-"

"You won't do a thing except close your eyes." He said, placing a long, slender finger on my lips. "Please." He added when I didn't comply.

I closed my eyes and I instantly felt cold as he stepped away from me, exposing me to the cool of the night.

I heard some shuffling and when I heard Jack ask me to open my eyes, they shot wide open. I gasped as I saw who was standing in front of me.

"Hi kid." My dad said as he stood in front of me, shuffling his weight from one foot to the other, indicating his unease. He stood in a fitting tux and had cleaned up nicely, his dark skin reflecting the colours of the lights hung around.

"Dad. What are you doing here?" Suddenly, I threw myself into his arms and hugged him tight.

"Your aunt invited me and Jack," he said pointing to Jack as he kept his distance yet wasn't too far and played with baby Kelly who just kept having a major growth spurt.

He looked up and saw us staring so he walked over. "You're always beating yourself up for pushing him away and I knew it wasn't enough that you sent him money for his treatment. You needed closure and here you have it." I choked back a sob.

"This means so much Jack. I'm so so sorry dad. I never should've done what I did. Forgive me?"

"You weren't wrong Kylie. It was my fault and I deeply regret it. All I can hope is that you forgive me."

"Of course I forgive you dad. I love you." I said as I gave him another hug.

"Here Lee, take her." Jack said to my dad as he handed Kelly over to him.

"My granddaughter." He gasped. "You look just like your mom."

"Me or Tasha?" I joked.

"Both of you." He replied and we all laughed and made our way back into the tent.
***

"Nicole's dead." Jack said as he returned to his seat at the table after having stepped out to take an urgent call.

"Served her right." Michelle said and I slapped her hand.