Bonus (CUT) #3 - The Man at the Party

Start from the beginning

But it’s not just that. It’s something more. He means business. There are no twists and turns and corners. He’s very forward and while it’s somewhat intimidating, his directness is appealing and it eases me into a curious comfort I have never felt before.

He asks me where I’m from and I answer. Truthfully, not placatingly just to shut him up like I would usually do. And then he asks me if I like it here. He smiles knowingly as I tell him that it’s not an easy place to get used to but I’m trying.

The more we talk, the easier it gets to engage with him. It’s evident that he’s one of those people who knows exactly how charming and attractive they are but he soon becomes invested in conversation and seems to forget this for a moment, making him seem more human and more real than anyone I’ve talked to in a long time, apart from Millie and Sosa, of course.

“What are you drinking?” he asks eventually gesturing towards the empty glass in my hands.

“Oh, that’s okay. I can get my own drink,” I reply giving him my go-to answer whenever a guy offers me a drink.

His eyes glower momentarily and, with a painfully striking half-smile he counters, “I know you can. It’s an open bar, which I’m paying for.”

The heat rises to my cheeks and makes them glow fiercely and, even though he tries not to let it show, I can tell Jeremy James Cordina is deeply amused.

“Relax, Sparky, I’m just messing with you. So, what are you having?”

“Vodka Orange,” I answer embarrassed and resigned.

He bites his lower lip and I know it’s to stop him from releasing a chuckle at my expense, but I don’t say anything as he turns around and makes his way over to the bar. 

I barely have time to watch him disappear into the crowd when Sandra and Karen are on my back.

“What the hell was that?” Karen shouts, eyes wide, mouth gaping.

“What was what?” I ask just as The Boss reaches the bar.

“You've been flirting for the past hour and a half!”

I turn to my colleagues. “We weren't flirting, we were talking!”

“You were flirting! He's Jeremy James Cordina for fuck's sake! It's what he does!”

“Well, he must be taking a day off because he wasn't flirting,” I reply scathingly 

Karen looks at me sympathetically. “So, where'd he go?”

“To get more drinks,” I answer trying to keep my face straight.

But Sandra is not having it. As always, she just can't keep her opinion to herself. “l can't believe you're bagging The Boss!”

“I am not bagging anyone! It’s an open bar which he's paying for!” I cry, the heat rising to my cheeks as I hear myself repeating his words. “He's getting you drinks as well.”

“Sure! Try explaining it that way to Sosa! Maybe she won't tell Samuel you cheated on him with The Boss!” Sandra says as a mischievous grin spreads on her face.

I cross my arms over my chest to steady myself against her smug face. “Samuel and I aren't together. We went out on two dates and that's it.”

“Does Sosa know you're not together?” Karen asks timidly, her eyes wandering over the room as though afraid our supervisor, who also happens to be my best friend, might hear her.

“Yes! And it doesn't matter because the last time I checked, talking is not cheating!”

I lift my glass to my lips again, forgetting that it’s empty. Unfortunately, it’s still not enough for me to avoid Karen and Sandra's accusing looks.

“Oh my God! We were NOT flirting!” I shout a bit too loudly.

“Who wasn’t flirting?”

Karen's eyes go wide and her lips become thin as though they've been sewn together as Sosa comes up from behind me and puts her arm around my waist. I’m just about to answer her when Sandra butts in.

“The Boss and Ally. And yet, he’s getting our newbie a drink as we speak.”

I roll my eyes at her. She’s really getting on my nerves now. “I started two days after you did!”

“Who? Mr. Cordina?” Sosa asks disconcertedly. “He just left.”

“What?”

I know we weren’t flirting. And yes, the drinks are free, but still... If that’s true, it’s pretty rude. Not surprising, but rude.

“Yeah! Just now. Saw him leaving with some blonde hanging by the bar.”

“Oh,” I sigh, ignoring the irritation in the pit of my stomach. “I guess I better go get my own drink then.”

#

They should ban open-bar parties. My head is aching and my stomach is twisting and turning ad nauseum. Sosa seems fine though and she probably drank twice as much.

I try to focus on the order sheet in front of me as she goes on and on and on about the tall, blond bartender who had to drive her home after the party when the phone rings mercifully. 

I reach for it and answer sullenly, “Morning, Lipstick & Co.

“Really? Is that how you answer the phone?”

I recognise his voice instantly but his tone is nothing like it was yesterday. It’s snappy and moody and not inviting at all. I scowl at the receiver wondering what the hell his problem is.

“Mr. Cordina?” I start hesitantly.

“No, it’s the Queen of England!” he snaps back. Then, after a short pause, “Did you just roll your eyes at me?”

My mouth drops open in shock and my eyes wander around the room in search of how he could possibly have known. Then, I see at the far corner of the store a blinking CCTV camera directed accusingly at me. I look up above my head and see another one. 

“I’m sorry, I,” I start but his sharp words make me swallow mine.

“Forget it. I don’t have time for this. Put Stephanie on the line!”

A soft sigh escapes my lips. I can’t believe this is the same man I conversed with so easily for over an hour yesterday. 

“Hello? Are you hungover or are you always this slow?” his cutting voice says in my ear.

My lower lip starts to tremble. I am not usually the sensitive type and snarky comments don’t get to me, but I am so astonished by the change in character that my eyes start to sting.

Sandra’s nasty words come back to me. Maybe he was just flirting with me because that’s what he does. And there I was sticking up for him, thinking that he’s a genuinely nice person!

I’m suddenly consumed by a rush of anger and I get up from my stool, push the phone in Sosa’s hand and say, “Here. Houdini wants to talk to you. I’m off for my break!” just before storming out.