Prologue: Where It All Begins

A/N: If you're rereading this, well you've probably noticed it's different. I actually took the time to edit and fix plot holes. I'm sleep deprived and hungry. This is an added on chapter!

Anyways enjoy~

***

Katherine POV:

I sighed out loudly, ignoring the concerning looks my coworkers briefly sent me.

I gave them a casual wave telling them I was fine, "I'm good, just ignore me." I told them as I shrugged off my white coat.

"Thanks for your hard work guys, I'm going on my break now. Bye." I quickly said, knowing if I lagged behind I would get roped into another walk-in appointment.

Being a pediatrician was such a hassle but rewarding in the end.

I waved at a little boy on my way out to my car.

"Bye-bye~ Dr. Stark" he waved, I cooed at him. So freaking adorable.

I finally made it to my car which took a whole 7 minutes, I rubbed some hand sanitizer in my hands before rubbing away my headache.

I just finished my 14 hour shift, because someone (ahem, my coworker) had a hangover and begged me to take over her shift.

B*tch, better give me her (to die for) homemade chocolate cake, if not we're going to have words.

My stomach started to grumble about as I quickly drove to the nearest diner, hell-bent on soothing my hunger.

I bit into my burrito happily humming in delight at the greasy flavorful food.

I started to flip through my phone absent minded when I paused. Thumb hovering over a photo—

Lily?

It was an old photo* of the three of them, me being the oldest with Petunia being the middle child and Lily being the youngest.

Looking at the sender it was from my late mom, it was sent years ago.

I frowned, now that I think about it... it's been years since I've seen them.

I was way older that the two of them, as we had different mothers.

I was dad's first daughter from his first marriage before they divorced.

I was 8 when Dad remarried and had Petunia with his new wife Marigold not long after their wedding.

There were no hard feelings between the three adults, on the contrary Maria (my mom) and Marigold became good friends even though my dad (Henry) became the butt of their jokes.

My mom even told her embarrassing stories about dad who watched faintly with me sitting on his lap, greatly amused at my dad's conflicted face.

Once Petunia was born, mom decided it was time we moved back to the United States as her company was booming in success.

It wasn't until Lily was born when mom and I visited the Evans for a week before leaving again.

Mom's company was that of manufactured sports goods and clothing stores it had finally stabilized when I turned 11.

Magic. I was shocked when an invitation to Hecate's Academy came through the Mail one day.

Mom who saw the letter paled briefly before she sat me down and explained magic to me.

I learned that Marie Sylvers was Lyra Black and her grandfather was Marius Black a squib who was kicked out at 11 years old when he didn't display any magic.

She was a squib as well and was surprised that I even had magic, since I hardly displayed any accidental magic.

I coughed, blushing as I told her about the few times I made people trip around me and the one time I turned my teacher's hair white since she was an old hag anyways.

She explained to me about the magic world and when she showed me a moving photo of my late great-grandparents. I think I almost flipped my shit.

I looked at the photo and was astonished at the resemblance I bore with my great-grandfather. I had the same gray eyes, though mine had a tinge of blue mixed in.

But that pale skin tone; the dark black wavy hair, and sneer was too alike.

Mom looked like him too, though she had brown hair and blue eyes like grandpa and grandma.

I was a daughter of two squibs ( I found out dad was one too later on) and part of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black (not that it was acknowledged).

Moving on, I attended Hecate Academy and graduated 7 years later; but on no-maj records I was homeschooled.

I even sat and took my AP tests and SATs since I never gave up on my no-maj studies since they were included in the school's curriculum.

Hell, I even attended school with day walking vampires, "vegetarian" vampires, shifters, werewolves (who weren't allowed to attend on full moon days) and even a few veelas (who alway looked like children until they felt safe enough to age up).

After graduating I went into healing, I was going to become a "Healer" but I was more drawn into helping children instead of accident prone adults.

I went to school, graduated and got married not long after that.

There was simply no time to catch up with the Evans though the times we did visit were full of fond memories.

I giggled remembering grumpy and huffy Petunia with naive and sweet little Lily.

My face crumbled when I recalled the news of Lily and her husband's death reached my ears, I sobbed my heart out even more than when I learned dad and Marigold died not even a week before them.

Mom and I visited their graves and my eyes shifted to the space besides them. Harry? Who's that?

When I got home from my late night dinner I ran up to the stairs making sure not to wake up anyone and quickly showered before slipping into bed next to my sleeping husband.

I was going to sleep when my eyes snapped open, "Jarvis book a flight to London for Thursday please."

"As you wish, Katherine. It's been booked. Have a good night." He replied.

"Thanks."

***
A/N: Yes this is a "new" chapter :)