~19~ the phantom girl

*** Please be sure to VOTE! Thank you! ***

“You’re in my first team,” He says.

His hands are folded behind his back. He doesn't even turn around to glance at me.

I blink in surprise. That came out of the blue… 

Did he just say what I thought I heard? Either way, I’m not going to ask him to repeat himself. He’ll probably just change his mind. He’s been known to do that with other people.

“Thank you, Arman—I mean, coach,” I gabble out.

Wow! Wait until I tell Gina and Marie! They’re going to be so confused…

Everyone knows he hates my guts. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating but it’s true. 

Not even Coach Bletchmann was this annoying when it came to “volunteering work.” I suppose Navarro’s teaching me to be more “humble”. Well, all that slave labour must have paid off — I’m on the first team!

“Have you seen my phantom girl?” Navarro says suddenly.

He jolts me out my excited thoughts. I was just imagining lifting up a shiny gold trophy (I know, I’m already getting ahead of myself)… 

“Sorry?”

“Not too long ago, I experienced the strangest dream,” He finally turns around to face me. “I can’t quite get it out of my head.”

A thoughtful smile hovers over his lips. He seems as though he’s reflecting over something.

“Must have been some nightmare,” I take a seat.

He leans against his desk and chews at the edge of his mouth. “Oh, it certainly wasn’t a nightmare.”

I’m intrigued — I can’t deny it. It’s always fun talking about dreams. Me and Gina do it all the time. Her dreams are freaky — anyone would think she’s on acid or something. 

“Wet dream, then?” 

“Such a sweet kiss,” he smiles slyly. “Made all the better by a beautiful girl. Maybe you’ve seen her about?” 

The razor-sharp silence jolts me awake. What the fvck—he knew all along…

“Uh…” My cheeks flush in embarrassment. What should I say? Should I deny it? Sh!t—he’s bound to kick me out of the team forever. But he said you were on the first team, doofus! I’m in full panic-mode. Wait, did he just call me… beautiful?

“I’ll describe her. May jog your memory,” He steps closer to me. That familiar woodsy cologne edges its way into my nostrils. I’m reminded of the first day we met — that rough first kiss we shared…

Navarro allows his tapered fingers to prop up my chin. He gazes deeply into my eyes. “Big green eyes. Wicked smile. Long brown hair. About 5’3. Sound familiar?” 

His fingers play with a tendril of my hair, curling it around his forefinger. 

She’s no phantom girl,” I breathe.

His chiselled, defined jawline is within touching-distance. I long to grab his collar and pull him forcefully towards me. But my knees have turned to jelly…

At this moment, my faculty for taking the initiative has completely… vanished.

“She looks a lot like you actually,” He continues casually. “Except she’s a stunner. A real stunner.”

The lock of hair slips off his fingers abruptly. My jaw hangs open like a hungry fish.

“What?” To say I’m annoyed would be an understatement — I’m p!ssed off. “She sounds horrible. Are you saying I’m ugl—” 

He’s obsessing over a phantom girl? Why does he have to insult me at every turn. He’s got a screw loose…

“And she didn’t have a streak of paint on her cheek,” Navarro’s fingers gently stroke my cheek. “All she left behind was this.”

He searches his pockets for something. Eventually, he pulls out a glittery neon pink hair clip. 

“That’s mine,” I snatch it out of his grasp.

“Hmm.”

His lips curve at the corners as he watches me unfasten a hair clip out of my hair. 

“See? Same hair clip,” I show both to him so he can compare the obvious similarity. It’s like a faerie vomited and produced this shameful hair accessory. 

Navarro still doesn’t look convinced. “How many other girls have the exact same hair clip, Van Hoff?”

“Because only Dad could buy something this ugly,” My voice raises a little in frustration.

There’s a brief, tense silence as I glare at him. 

He laughs for a long time and takes the clip from my palm. I realise that I’m being an idiot — why the fvck am I getting jealous over a phantom girl. I’m the bloody phantom girl!

“Come here,” Navarro’s hands land on either side of my face. They’re warm against my skin. I inadvertently tilt my head to the side. A flicker of a smile lingers on his gorgeous features. His eyes are warm and tender. Mesmeric.

A/N: Please VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE! Thanks! What’s Armand gonna do, readers? :D Chapter 20 will be posted on... ♡alentine's day! ;) Dmitri