Chapter 2: When the time comes, baby don't run, just kiss me slowly

Sam's POV

Every hug, every touch makes my heart race. When we're together, everything feels right. Every accidental touch of our hands causes my heart to race. When he holds me, I feel safe and I want to stay there forever. Unfortunately, it never lasts. I'm in love with my best friend but every moment we share is fleeting. I get lost in his eyes every time he looks at me. The worst feeling is loving someone who will never love you back. All I want is to be his and never have to let him go.

"Sam?" Colby voices breaks into my thoughts.

"Hey man," I say.

"I'm going to get something to eat. Want to join?"

"Sure," I say, grabbing my wallet and keys.

He extends his hand to me and I take it. We walk down the stairs, hand in hand. He opens the car door for me before getting in himself. He drives us to our favorite restaurant. Colby suggests that we get our food to go, saying that he didn't feel like eating in the restaurant. We get to the restaurant and order our food. He holds my hand while we wait. They hand us our food and we leave. Colby drives us to a park and grabs a blanket from the trunk while I grab the food. The park is nearly empty and we sit down together. We eat in comfortable silence. When we finish eating, Colby pulls me into his arms and runs his fingers through my hair. I relax into his touch and close my eyes. I savor the moment because I know it will end eventually and I'll have to go back to pretending. In these moments, I can trick myself into believing that Colby loves me too. I sigh.

"Are you alright Sam?" Colby asks.

I nod, not wanting to ruin the moment by talking. He turns me around to face him, staring into my eyes. He starts to lean in and for a brief moment I think that he is going to kiss me but he pulls away. I move away from him and lay down on the blanket, looking up at the sky. The sun is starting to set and I finally speak up.

"We should head back," I say.

"Sam-" Colby starts to say, but then he nods and picks up the blanket.

We head back and go our separate ways. I wish we could be together all time but I don't want to push him. He makes me feel safe and I just want to be his.