chapter fifty-five

Start from the beginning

Minsoo snuggled into her blanket, her head against the one white pillow she had on the bed. Her back laid against the mattress, her stomach going up and down as she took in breaths, falling asleep before Hyeji even returned.

 Her back laid against the mattress, her stomach going up and down as she took in breaths, falling asleep before Hyeji even returned

Around three in the morning, the striking lightning and thunder made it hard for anyone to sleep. The raindrops outside were hitting down on the building and windows with such force it sounded like small bullets.

None of the kids were sleeping very well, their bedrooms lighting up and claps of thunder heard every two minutes.

The nurses weren't doing very well in their rooms either but unlike the kids, they didn't have set bedtimes. In both of their rooms, they watched their TVs while enjoying snacks, the sound emitting from the large screens unbearable through their nearly soundproof rooms.

In Minsoo and Hyeji's room, the two girls were having a bit of trouble sleeping peacefully, especially Minsoo.

Hyeji had always been a rather deep sleeper and although she somehow managed to stay asleep during the storm outside, it didn't mean it was the most peaceful slumbers.

Minsoo was starting to feel anxious. Why? She couldn't figure it out. Something about the storm and lightning messed with her nerves and made her head spin, the headache from earlier only getting stronger.

Around 3:25 when everyone had thought it was starting to clear outside since there hadn't been a loud boom in the last fifteen minutes, everyone was finally starting to fall asleep.

But at exactly 3:32 a strike of lightning hit and at 3:33 thunder was heard right after, so strong that it managed to shake the entire ground along with the building on top of it.

Everyone had woken up at the sudden feeling, except for Minsoo.

Hyeji woke up groggily, rubbing her eyes as she yawned, clearly not happy having been woken before she had to be.

But that upset behavior quickly vanished when she looked over towards Minsoo whose eyes were now wide open, her pupils white as it looked like her veins now turned a matching white.

Electric bolts were shooting out of her hands. Unlike all the other times she had woken up to Minsoo shorting out bolts, she still looking list a sleeping Minsoo and her bolts were only white.

But now, they were all kinds of different colors. White and purple being seen the most out of all the colors.

The long-haired girl knew immediately that this was not like normal and although she didn't want to get up and get the nurses up and make them suspicious, she knew that whatever was happening to her friend was not safe and probably wouldn't end well.

So she stood up, slid her feet into her slides, and dodged the bolts as she ran out the bedroom door.

The others heard her as she stomped through the house, yelling for the nurses with a panic laced in her usually calm voice.

They all came out of their bedrooms, obviously not expecting the sudden sounds in the normal silent house.

By the time Hyeji reached the nurse's rooms, she slammed open the first door she reached. "I don't know what's happening to Minsoo, please come help!"

Nurse Min immediately stood up, running down the stairs to the girl's room while Hyeji got the attention of Nurse Son.

The two ran after Nurse Min to where Minsoo was. After hearing the words from Hyeji's mouth, Nurse Son had immediately dialed some number and spoke frantically across the line.

Hyeji's ears were ringing as adrenaline filled her, too worried about Minsoo to care about what or who the nurse was talking to.

When they finally got downstairs, Nurse Min had ran inside towards Minsoo and tried shaking her awake but it was of no use. When she didn't wake, Nurse Min felt her pulse.

Her eyes widen and she muttered something under her breath, making Hyeji begin panicking as the boys and girls all came towards where the commotion was.

"What's going on?" Donghyuck asked, leaning against Jeno with a blanket covering his bare chest, not expecting to get out of bed at such a late time.

"I don't know," Hyeji said quietly, teary eyes as she watched Nurse Min try one more time to wake Minsoo while dodging bolts of electricity.

A few had made it towards the door, Hyeji and Nurse Son ducking just in time as it hit the wall, leaving a burn mark bigger than ever before.

"What the hell is that?" Renjun asked, staring wide-eyed at the marking. The others stared at it as well, just as curious.

"What's happening to Minsoo?" Eunha asked, staring at Hyeji with worry.

"Make way! Make way!"

The sudden shouting from a grown man's voice startled everyone but they still moved, letting him walk inside with three other men as they carried a stretcher.

One of the four men stepped towards Minsoo, sucking in a breath as one of the bolts hit him. He ignored the pain and strode towards Minsoo, sedating her.

Just like that her veins and eyes changed back to their regular colors and her eyes closed again.

→ ♕

ummm...
what do y'all think just happened? 👁👁