chapter forty-six

CHAPTER FORTY FOURNIGHTTIME PLAY

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR
NIGHTTIME PLAY

QUIET DOWN, DARLING. TOO LOUD AND YOU MIGHT WAKE SOMEONE.

EUNHA FOCUS

The youngest of the house awkwardly made her way to her shared room with Minju. She never spoke with Minju anyways but the quietness from everyone else around her made it worse as she made her way to her room.

Usually, she'd say goodnight or see you in the morning but tonight she was quiet, no words exchanged with anyone.

The bedroom wasn't as quiet as dinner was, Minju's soft melodies from her record player keeping the silence bearable.

Both girls fell asleep rather quietly, their darkroom leaving no room for wonder as small winds drifted through the air vents and the small crack in the locked window.

Eunha's body jerked

Eunha's body jerked.

A cold sweat encased her body, shaking beginning at her fingertips and running around her entire body as one. Beads fell from her forehead, creases forming as she twitched in her sleep.

A murmur sounded from between her lips, words slurred together at somewhat of an attempt of a sentence.

Tears began to fall from her closed eyes, mixing with the sweat. She shivered harshly, a small gasp being released before she sat up. Her vision was dark, no light within the room as she inhaled deeply, the fresh air filling her lungs like never before.

Her straight back slumped but she paid no attention to the bad posture, an aching feeling finding its way inside her body while the shaking found its way outside.

She moaned at the feeling inside her stomach, holding it with her right hand while her left one held her forehead.

The nightmare she was having caused all this pain. How exactly? She didn't know.

She blinked, trying to get rid of the tears. "What the hell was that?" She asked herself, taking in more deep breaths.

"Not sure." The hair on the back of Eunha's neck stood up at the voice. "I wouldn't expect your body to react that way. I've only communicated to someone like you once, and" the voice chuckled, "it didn't end that well before."

"Who- Who are you and what" she drew in a breath, "what are you doing here?" She asked, staring at her lap in the pitch-black darkness around their room.

She didn't know who was talking but she knew it wasn't Minju. Whoever they were, they had a deep and husky voice, one that sounded old and worn-out.

Her bare feet touched the cold wooden floors, their polish glistening against the small light that peaked out right under the window.

She moved across the bed slowly until she was standing up straight. Her feet sprinted across the wood and to the door. In a flash, she was at her bedroom door and then suddenly opening the bathrooms.

She exhaled as she closed the bathroom door, the bright light making her eyes water as her chest heaved up and down.

She took a second to breathe once again, her body uncomfortable and tired. Her eyes closed momentarily.

"Why'd we come in here?"

Eunha shrieked, her eyes popping over as she jumped onto the sink counter. "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?"

The older man smiled wickedly, his yellow teeth finally shining through. "Quiet now, darling. Too loud and you might wake someone. And we wouldn't want that now would we?"

"I will ask again," Eunha said, her voice calming down as she tried focusing. "Who are you?"

The man chuckled, his torn-up shirt exposing cuts and bruises along with scares. "You don't know? You're the one who summoned me here, sweetheart."

"No-No, I didn't summon anyone." Eunha shook her head.

The older man's smile didn't waver. "Of course you did. That nightmare remember?" He spoke clearly, beginning to get closer to Eunha.

The young girl backed up off the counter and slowly placed her feet back on the floor, her hand gripping the doorknob tightly.

"Hey, what are-" Eunha didn't wait to let the man get any closer or finish his sentence before opening the door, running out.

She only had one way to go and she took the chance, running in the direction of the kitchen. Her footsteps were light against the ground as she heard the ghost man yelling after her.

She suddenly caught sight of a figure in front of her and pulled her body to a stop, falling to the ground as the ghost man screamed from behind her and the figure in front of her came closer.

Tears began running down her face as she covered her ears and looked down at the floor. The sudden feeling of hands pulling her upwards cut her off guard.

"Eunha? What are you doing down here? Are you okay?"

She looked up at the boy, her arms immediately clasping around his neck in an attempt to find any kind of protection.

"He's shouting. He won't stop shouting." She cried.

Renjun's eyebrows furrowed. His hair was still messy while his body wore his regular nighttime sweatpants and a white t-shirt. "Who? Why are you crying?"

Although he was confused, he could feel her shaking figure and the tears falling onto his shoulder. He didn't try pushing her away knowing she was in a valuable state.

"Release his spirit, Eunha."