chapter twenty-eight

CHAPTER TWENTY SIXGREAT LOOKOUT

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
GREAT LOOKOUT

YOU SUCK AT BEING A LOOKOUT.

RENJUN, JAEMIN, & EUNHA FOCUS

"Ghosts? That's crazy talk."

"Didn't you just say that you believed me when I said I saw Minsoo's eyes flash a completely different color? What's so unbelievable about seeing ghosts?"

Eunha shook her head, "I believed it because it sounds possible. Seeing ghosts isn't. It's unbelievable, Jaemin."

The older boy disagreed, "so you don't believe in ghosts?"

"I do believe in ghosts," she told him, "but I don't believe that regular people can just see them whenever they want."

Jaemin looked at her skeptically, "no? Then what about animals and babies? What do you think dogs bark at in the middle of the night when there's nothing there and how kids just make up imaginary friends?"

"That's different."

"Is it really?" Jaemin persisted. Eunha nodded and looked back at her book, not believing anything he said anymore. "Then look it up."

Eunha laughed, "look it up? On what? That piece of junk?" She pointed over at one of the two computers in the room. They were both old. A beige color and a square shape with big keys on the keyboards.

Jaemin nodded, "not many other options."

"Okay, and what am I supposed to lookup? Dead guy on the intersection?" Eunha asked him, unconvinced she'd find anything.

"Sounds good to me."

Eunha shook her head, "we still need permission to get on the computer or we'll get in trouble. You gonna stand lookout?"

"It'd be my pleasure," Jaemin smiled. The two stood up. Jaemin went to the doorway and slightly opened the door to peek out while Eunha went over to the rolling chair in front of the computer.

It took a minute to power on and Jaemin complained. Eunha ignored it and watched the screen flicker to the home screen. There was no password.

She immediately went to the search engine and got ready to type anything in. Although she was only joking with Jaemin earlier, she put in the intersection name and 'man drowned.'

She was surprised to see actual search results come up and clicked on the first article given.

Hwang Jinsoon, a 21-year-old single man of Daegu, South Korea found dead in Lake [X] next to Intersection [X] on August 24th, 2009.
Reports show that Jinsoon's car was found driven into the lake after he had an altercation with his girlfriend Im Soojin.

Eunha froze reading the girlfriend's name. Im Soojin. She knew that name. But from where?

The city has since decided that in order to avoid any more crashes like this one that the lake is to be filled. Construction is set to begin in mid-September and be completed by some time in October.

She continued surfing the article and reading every line. Suddenly a sharp breath intact from her left side made her jump. She turned to see Jaemin reading over her shoulder.

"Aren't you supposed to be guarding the door?" She mumbled, continuing to read.

Jaemin shrugged as he continued to lean downwards, saying each word as he read under his breath. "No ones gonna be in here any time soon."

"Sure about that?"

The two jumped at the sound of the voice and turned to the door, the hair on their arms standing up. They calmed down after realizing it was only Renjun and turned back to the computer.

"Guess I'll watch out for you idiots," Renjun grumbled quietly, leaning against the doorway as he watched for anyone passing by.

Another minute passed as Jaemin and Eunha finished reading the article. Once finished, they turned around towards the pastel-haired boy.

"So you really can see ghosts?" Jaemin voiced, thinking about everything that he had just read. Eunha still shook her head in disbelief.

"How is that even possible? It's not, right?"

Renjun walked towards the two, pulling Jaemin by his shirt collar back to the door. "Scoot over," he sneered at Eunha, walking to the computer.

She didn't need him to tell her twice, the wheels of her chair turning as she gave him room to type something into the computer.

Before pressing enter he read over the same article Jaemin and Eunha had just looked at, completing it much faster than the pair had.

He let out a huff as he entered in the singular word, the computer pausing before multiple search results showed up.

He backed away, motioning for Eunha to read the screen. Firstly she looked at the word he put in, Necromancy.